The Efficacy of Simethicone Plus N-Acetylcysteine Versus Water in Improving Mucosal Visualization During Gastroscopy Using Total Mucosal Visibility Scoring (TMVS): A Meta-analysis
Daphne Angelie Sevilleja MD*, Czar Jaime Ortiz MD and Eda Jo Amatong MD, FPCP, FPSG, FPSDE
Department of Internal Medicine, World Citi Medical Center, Quezon City, Daphneangeliesevilleja@gmail.com
*Corresponding Author: Daphne Angelie Sevilleja MD, Department of Internal Medicine, World Citi Medical Center, Quezon City, Daphneangeliesevilleja@gmail.com.
Received: January 26, 2022; Published: March 11, 2022
Background/Aim: To determine the efficacy of Simethicone plus N-acetylcysteine (NAC) versus water prior to Gastroscopy in improving mucosal visualization.
Materials and Methods: With the search of relevant studies conducted from Pubmed and Web of science database for randomized clinical trials regarding Simethicone plus NAC as pre procedural medication prior to Gastroscopy in improving mucosal visualization. A random effects meta-analysis was done to determine the difference in total mucosal visibility score (TMVS) between the experimental and control group.
Results: Four randomized clinical trials involving 632 patients who fulfilled the inclusion criteria were pooled into a meta-analysis. Simethicone plus NAC showed better total mucosal visibility score versus water as control with computed mean difference of -2.46 (-3.99, -0.93) which showed significant result with a P value of <0.00001 in total mucosal visibility scoring (TMVS).
Conclusions: Simethicone plus N-Acetylcysteine as a premedication prior to gastroscopy improves mucosal visibility using TMVS.
Keywords: Simethicone; N-acetylcysteine; Premedication; Preparation; Gastroscopy
- Cohen J., et al. “Quality indicators for esophagogastroduodenoscopy”. American Journal of Gastroenterology 101 (2006): 886-891.
- Keeratichananont S., et al. “The role of liquid simethicone in enhanc- ing endoscopic visibility prior to esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD): a prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo- controlled trial”. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand 8 (2010): 892-897.
- Wu L., et al. “Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of Simethicone for gastrointestinal endoscopic visibility”. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 2 (2011): 227-235.
- Chen HW., et al. “Pre- medication to improve esophagogastroduodenoscopic visibility: a meta-analysis and systemic review”. Hepatogastroenterology134 (2014): 1642-1648.
- McDonald GB., et al. “Pre-endoscopic use of oral simethicone”. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 24 (1978): 283.
- Banerjee B., et al. “Effectiveness of pre- procedure simethicone drink in improving visibility during esophagogastroduodenoscopy: a double-blind, randomized study”. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 15 (1992): 264-265.
- McNally PR., et al. “The effective- ness of simethicone in improving visibility during colonos- copy: a double-blind randomized study”. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 34 (1998): 255-258.
- Tongprasert S., et al. “Improving quality of colonoscopy by adding simethicone to sodium phosphate bowel preparation”. World Journal of Gastroenterology 15 (2009): 3032-3037.
- Chang WK., et al. “Efficacy of simethicone and N-acetylcystein as premedication in improving visibility during upper endoscopy”. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 29 (2014): 769-774.
- Mahawongkajit P and Kanlerd A. “A prospective randomized controlled trial comparing simethicone, N-acetylcysteine, sodium bicarbonate and peppermint for visualization in upper gastrointestinal endoscopy”. Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature (2020).
- Asl SMK and Sivandzadeh GR. “Efficacy of premedication with activated Dimethicone or N-acetylcysteine in improving visibility during upper endoscopy”. World Journal of Gastroenterology 37 (2011): 4213-4217.
- Basford PJ., et al. “A randomized controlled trial of pre-procedure simethicone and N-acetylcysteine to improve mucosal visibility during gastroscopy-NICEVIS”. Endoscopy International Open 04 (2016): E1197-E1202.
- Monroy H., et al. “Use of N-acetylcysteine plus simethicone to improve mucosal visibility during upper GI endoscopy: a double blind, randomized controlled trial”. 2017 by the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 0016-5107.
- Neale J., et al. “Premedication with N-acetylcysteine and simethicone improves mucosal visualization during gastroscopy: a randomized, controlled, endoscopist-blinded study”. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 25 (2013): 778-783.