Gel Beads Ingestion: A Case Report with Management and Review of Literature
Farah Faytrouni1*, Quais Mujawar2, Kamran Sadiq3 and Vishal Avinashi1
1Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, British Colombia Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
2Pediatric Gastroenterology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
3Pediatric Gastroenterology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Pakistan
*Corresponding Author: Farah Faytrouni, Clinical Pediatrics Gastroenterology Fellow, Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, British Columbia Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada.
Received: March 08, 2021; Published: April 16, 2021
We hereby present a case of gel ball ingestion in a toddler. In this particular case the gel ball passed through the digestive tract without complication; however, the literature supports caution in the ingestion of super absorbent gel beads in the pediatric population which have the potential to grow in size in the digestive tract and can result in significant problems such as bowel obstruction, perforation and even death. Ingestion of gel balls should not conform to standard principals of foreign body management and requires a high index of suspicion.
Keywords: Gel Beads Ingestion; Bowel Obstruction; Perforation
- Moon JS., et al. “An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads”. Journal of Pediatric Surgery9 (2012): E19-E22.
- Al-Saied G., et al. “Unusual cause of small-bowel obstructions in infants: A warning letter to the parents”. Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports 11 (2016): 39-43.
- Mirza B., et al. “Decorative crystal balls causing intestinal perforation”. Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons 3 (2011): 106-107.
- Zamora IJ., et al. “Water-absorbing balls: A “growing” problem”. Pediatrics4 (2012): 1011-1014.
- Mirza B and Sheikh A. “Mortality in a case of crystal gel ball ingestion: an alert for parents”. APSP Journal of Case Reports 1 (2012): 6.
- Tan GHM., et al. “Superabsorbent toy poses a health hazard to children”. Singapore Medical Journal 8 (2013): 473.
- Pham HD and Taylor LA. “Small bowel obstruction due to ingested superabsorbent beads”. Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Reports 5 (2015): 190-191.
- Singh AP., et al. “Foreign body in duodenum mimicking a duplication cyst on imaging”. APSP Journal of Case Reports 5 (2016): 35.
- Mohamed A., et al. “Bowel obstruction by ingestion of superabsorbent polymer balls”. Journal of Pediatric Surgery Case Report 41 (2019): 27-29.
- Jackson J., et al. “Two year old with water bead ingestion”. Pediatric Emergency Care 8 (2015): 605-607.
- Mehmetoğlu F. “A retrospective 10-year analysis of water absorbent bead ingestion in children”. Emergency Medicine International (2018): 5910527.
- Muthukumaran J and Vivek S. “Intestinal obstruction due to accidental ingestion of hygroscopic foreign body”. Indian Pediatrics 12 (2014): 1022-1023.
- Faizah MZ., et al. “Ultrasound diagnosis of crystal jelly ball ingestion causing intestinal obstruction”. Austin Journal of Radiology 2 (2016): 1-3.
- Wang X., et al. “Ultrasound detection of crystal gel ball ingestion in children”. Pediatric Radiology 13 (2019): 1850-1852.
- Cairns R., et al. “Dangerous toys: the expanding problem of water-absorbing beads”. Medical Journal of Australia 11 (2016): 528.
- Sterling M., et al. “Destructive otologic foreign body: Dangers of the expanding bead”. JAMA Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 9 (2016): 919-920.
- Korioth T and Writer S. “Water-absorbing beads can be harmful if swallowed, put in ear”. American Academy of Pediatrics (2016).