Study of Oxidative Stress Effect in Pathophysiology of Cancer Induced by Lead Toxicity
Derouiche Samir1,2*, Kenioua Achouak1, Benaoun Khadidja1
1Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Life, University of El Oued, Algeria
2Laboratory of Biodiversity and Application of Biotechnology in the Agricultural Field, University of El Oued, Algeria
*Corresponding Author: Derouiche Samir, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Life, University of El Oued, Algeria.
February 28, 2022; Published: March 24, 2022
Introduction: Lead is a chemical element that exists in nature. It is recognized as one of the most toxic and harmful heavy metals, even in low quantities.
Objective: This review focuses on the effect of oxidative stress in the developement of cancer by lead.
Methods: The data were collected by searching Science Direct, Google Scholar, PubMed, Scopus, Springer and National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). The Keywords used as search terms were “Lead”, “Acute and Chronic toxicity”, “lead and Oxidative stress” and “free radical induced cancer”.
Results: Lead is a genotoxic agent causes genotoxicity by oxidative stress in exposed cells, tissues and organs. Lead is also reported to cause impairment in DNA synthesis process and cause chromosomal aberrations and destabilization of DNA. Many of lead genotoxic effects in mammal cells are mediated by ROS and/or the lipids soluble by products of oxidative stress. In a cellular system, it has been demonstrated that singlet oxygen is the major species participating in the induction of DNA strand breakage which promotes genetic damage and cancer disease.
Conclusion: Lead toxicity can be determined by the oxidative stress status of the cells which can be the main cause of the development of cancer related to the complications of acute and chronic toxicity by lead.
Keywords: Lead; Oxidative Stress; Cancer; Toxicity
- Derouiche S and Zeghib K. “Evaluation of the Chelating Efficacy of Aquilaria malaccensis and Aristolochia longa Against Biochemical Alterations Induced by Lead Bioaccumulation in Rats”. Pharmaceutical and Biosciences Journal2 (2019): 11-15.
- Tchounwou PB., et al. “Heavy metal toxicity and the environment”. EXS 101 (2012): 133-164.
- Assi MA., et al. “The detrimental effects of lead on human and animal health”. Veterinary World6 (2016): 660-671.
- Djouadi A and Derouiche S. “Study of fluoride-induced haematological alterations and liver oxidative stress in rats”. World Journal Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science 5 (2017): 211-221.
- Derouiche S., et al. “Heavy metals, Oxidative stress and Inflammation in Pathophysiology of Chronic Kidney disease - A Review”. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology3 (2020): 202-206.
- Sachdeva C., et al. “Lead: Tiny but Mighty Poison”. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry2 (2018): 132-146.
- Kumar A., et al. “Lead Toxicity: Health Hazards, Influence on Food Chain, and Sustainable Remediation Approaches”. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health7 (2020): 2179.
- Genchi G., et al. “Nickel: Human Health and Environmental Toxicology”. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health3 (2020): 679.
- Derouiche S., et al. “Epidemiological study and role of zinc and lead on breast cancer in el oued (algerian) population”. Advances in Bioresearch1 (2020): 123-130.
- Pizzino G., et al. “Oxidative Stress: Harms and Benefits for Human Health”. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2017 (2017): 8416763.
- Atoussi O., et al. “Biological properties and Acute Toxicity Study of Copper oxide nanoparticles prepared by aqueous leaves extract of Portulaca oleracea (L)”. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2 (2020): 89-94.
- Uttara B., et al. “Oxidative Stress and Neurodegenerative Diseases: A Review of Upstream and Downstream Antioxidant Therapeutic Options”. Current Neuropharmacology1 (2009): 65-74.
- Derouiche S., et al. “Effectiveness of a Novel SeNPs synthetized by Aquilaria malaccensis extract compared to selenium acetate on lead induced metabolic disorder and oxidative stress in pregnant rats”. International Journal of Chemical and Biochemical Science 19 (2021): 50-57.
- Tafti D and Banks KP. “Nuclear Medicine Physics”. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing (2022).
- Sposito G., et al. “Trace metal chemistry in arid-zone field soils amended with sewage sludge: I. Fractionation of Ni, Cu, Zn, Cd and Pb in solid phases”. Soil Science Society of America Journal 46 (1982): 260-264.
- Chantal B. “Toxicologie Clinique”. Ed. Flammarion Médecine Science. Paris (2002): 638.
- Kaminsk YP., et al. “Physiopathologie de I'intoxication par le plomb inorganique; MISE AU POINT”. RevMed Interne 14 (1993): 163-170.
- Derouiche S., et al. “Protective effects of Aristolochia longa and Aquilaria malaccensis against lead-induced oxidative stress in rat cerebrum”. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences 1 (2019): 57-63.
- Lauwerys R. “Toxicologie industrielle et intoxication professionnelles”. 3éme Ed. Masson. Paris (1992): 123-131.
- Alexander J., et al. “Scientific Opinion on Lead in Food”. European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), European Food Safety Authority Journal 4 (2013): 1-151.
- Wani AL., et al. “Lead toxicity: a review”. Interdisciplinary Toxicology2 (2015): 55-64.
- Ajsuvakova OP., et al. “Sulfhydryl groups as targets of mercury toxicity”. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 417 (2020): 213343.
- Derouiche S., et al. “Triazinone herbicide metribuzin induced acute liver injury: A study of animal model”. Journal of Acute Disease 4 (2018): 152-157.
- Garnier R. “Toxicité du plomb et de ses dérivés”. EMC - Toxicologie-Pathologie2 (2005): 67–88.
- Piechalak A., et al. “Lead uptake, toxicity and accumulation in Phaseolus vulgaris”. Biologia Plantarum3 (2008): 565-568.
- Satarug S., et al. “Cadmium and Lead Exposure, Nephrotoxicity, and Mortality”. Toxics4 (2020): 86.
- Charkiewicz AE and Backstrand JR. “Lead Toxicity and Pollution in Poland”. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health12 (2020): 4385.
- Jouhadi Z., et al. “Lead poisoning in children: a case report”. Pan African Medical Journal 24 (2016): 316.
- Bennett WM. “Lead nephropathy”. Kidney Intern 28 (1985): 212-220.
- Swarup D and Maitis K. “Changes in some biochimical constituents in blood and cerebrospinal fluid of lead intoxicated calves”. Indian journal of Animal Sciences9 (1991): 942-945.
- Abdel-Bakky MS., et al. “Mental depression: Relation to different disease status, newer treatments and its association with COVID-19 pandemic (Review)”. Molecular Medicine Reports 6 (2021): 839.
- Alfonso V B., et al. “Natural antioxidants in functional foods: from food safety to health benefits”. Grasas y Aceites3 (2001): 295-303.
- Sarawoot P and Phanit K. “Oxidative Stress-Associated Pathology: A Review (Patologi berkaitan Tekanan Oksidatif: Suatu Kajian)”. Sains Malaysiana10 (2015): 1441-1451.
- Shilpa B and Rima D. “Oxidative stress: Major executioner in disease pathology, role in sperm DNA damage and preventive strategies”. Frontiers in Bioscience 9 (2017): 420-447.
- Derouiche S., et al. “The Study of Socioeconomic and Clinic Risk Factors of Breast Cancer in Algerian Women Population”. Frontiers in Biomedical Technologies3-4 (2018): 51-57.
- Saroj SG., et al. “Free Radicals and Antioxidants in Human Health: Current Status and Future Prospects”. Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 52 (2004): 794-804.
- Flora G., et al. “Toxicity of lead: A review with recent updates”. Interdisciplinary Toxicology 2 (2012): 47-58.
- Chetehouna S., et al. “Biological Activity and Toxicological Profile of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Synthesized by Portulaca oleracea (L) Leaves Extract”. Advances in Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology Research 2 (2020): 125-133.
- Aftab A., et al. “Cytotoxic and Genotoxic Effect of Arsenic and Lead on Rat Mesenchymal Stem Cells (rMSCs)”. Pakistan Journal of Zoology1 (2015): 41-47.
- Clement GY., et al. “DNA Damage, Cell Cycle Arrest, and Apoptosis Induction Caused by Lead in Human Leukemia Cells”. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health1 (2015): 56.
- Bertrand P., et al. “Lead-induced DNA damage in Vicia faba root cells: Potential involvement of oxidative stress”. Mutation Research - Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis2 (2011): 123-128.
- Jia-Ling Y., et al. “Singlet Oxygen Is the Major Species Participating in the Induction of DNA Strand Breakage and 8-Hydroxydeoxyguanosine Adduct by Lead Acetate”. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis3 (1999): 194-201.
- Derouiche S. “Current Review on Herbal Pharmaceutical improve immune responses against COVID-19 infection”. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Technology3 (2020): 181-184.