An Update on the Diagnosis, Treatment and Prognosis in Osteosarcoma
Rajeshwar Nath Srivastava1*, Priyanka Sharma2, Saloni Raj1, Lavini Raj3, Mukesh Dwivedi1, Dharmendra Kumar1 and Wahid Ali2
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
2Department of Pathology, King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
3Hult International Business School, USA
*Corresponding Author: Rajeshwar Nath Srivastava, Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
August 16, 2021; Published: August 31, 2021
The most common primary bone cancer is Osteosarcoma, a neoplasm thought to arise from bone-forming mesenchymal stem cells. Musculoskeletal radiologists, pathologists and clinicians are needed to interpret imaging findings and tissue samples to make a definitive diagnosis and establish a prognosis for the better enhancement towards good results with more prolonged disease-free survival, including imagery and histological profile, to make an accurate diagnosis and decide the best course of treatment, it's essential to compare gross, radiographic, and microscopic findings. If the results and quality of life are to be improved, an interprofessional team approach is needed.
Keywords: Osteosarcoma; National Comprehensive Cancer Network-2021; American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC); Malignant Musculoskeletal Tumors; Nuclear Imaging; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Body Mass Index
- Campanacci M. “Bone and soft tissue tumours: clinical features, imaging, pathology and treatment”. Berlin: Springer (2013).
- Sissons HA. “The WHO classification of bone tumours”. Recent Results in Cancer Research 54 (1976): 104-108.
- Mirabello L., et al. “International osteosarcoma incidence patterns in children and adolescents, middle-aged and elderly persons”. International Journal of Cancer 125 (2009): 229-234.
- Harvei S and Solheim Ø. “The prognosis in Osteosarcoma: Norwegian national data”. Cancer 48 (1981): 1719-1723.
- Sutow WW., et al. “Adjuvant chemotherapy in the primary treatment of osteogenic sarcoma. A Southwest Oncology Group study”. Cancer 36 (1975): 1598-1602.
- Eilber By F., et al. “Adjuvant chemotherapy for Osteosarcoma: a randomized prospective trial”. Journal of Clinical Oncology 5 (1987): 21-26.
- Simon MA., et al. “Limb-salvage treatment versus amputation for Osteosarcoma of the distal end of the femur”. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 68 (1986): 1331-1337.
- Ottaviani G and Jaffe N. “The epidemiology of osteosarcoma”. Cancer Treatment and Research 152 (2009): 3-13.
- Wide B and Wide T. “Initial symptoms and clinical features in Osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma”. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 5 (2000): 667-674.
- Kundu ZS. “Classification, imaging, biopsy and staging of Osteosarcoma”. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics3 (2004): 238-246.
- Misaghi A., et al. “Osteosarcoma: a comprehensive review”. SICOT Journal 4 (2018): 12.
- Jawad MU and Scully SP. “In brief: classifications in brief: enneking classification: benign and malignant tumours of the musculoskeletal system”. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 7 (2010): 2000-2002.
- Wadhwa N. “Osteosarcoma: Diagnostic dilemmas in histopathology and prognostic factors”. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics3 (2014): 247-254.
- Bacci G., et al. “Prognostic significance of serum lactate dehydrogenase in Osteosarcoma of the extremity: experience at Rizzoli on 1421 subjects treated over the last 30 years”. Tumori 5 (2004): 478-484.
- Scully SP., et al. “Pathologic fracture in Osteosarcoma: prognostic importance and treatment implications”. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery1 (2002): 49-57.
- Altaf S., et al. “High-BMI at diagnosis is associated with inferior survival in subjects with Osteosarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group”. Pediatric Blood and Cancer 12 (2013): 2042-2046.
- Iemsawatdikul K., et al. “Seeding of Osteosarcoma in the biopsy tract of a patient with multifocal Osteosarcoma”. Pediatric Radiology7 (2005): 717-721
- Zhang Y., et al. “Progress in the chemotherapeutic treatment of Osteosarcoma”. Oncology Letter5 (2018): 6228-6237.
- Tiwari A. “Current concepts in the surgical treatment of Osteosarcoma”. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma 1 (2012): 4-9.