Synthesis of Silver Oxide Nanoparticles and its Antimicrobial, Anticancer, Anti-inflammatory, Wound Healing, and Immunomodulatory Activities - A Review
Sheraz Muhammad1, Asif Ali2*, Sana Zahoor1, Xie Xinghua3, Jehangir Shah1, Muhammad Hamza4, Muhammad Kashif1, Sumayya Khan1, Behram Khan Ajat Khel1, Arshad Iqbal1 and Marwa Tariq1
1Department of Chemistry, Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan, KPK, Pakistan
2School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology,
3School of Chemical Engineering, Anhui University of Science and Technology, China
4Department of Chemical Engineering, Ming Chi University of Technology, Taiwan, Republic of China
*Corresponding Author: Asif Ali, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China.
June 04, 2023; Published: June 30, 2023
The unique characteristics and potential uses of silver oxide nanoparticles (Ag2O NPs) have generated considerable interest in the field of nanotechnology. The present review offers a comprehensive survey of the various synthesis techniques utilized in the fabrication of Ag2O nanoparticles, and investigates their multifaceted biological properties. The article presents a comprehensive analysis of diverse physical and chemical techniques employed for the synthesis of Ag2O NPs. Additionally, the study highlights the characterization methods utilized to evaluate the structural and chemical attributes of the synthesized nanoparticles. This study provides a comprehensive analysis of the biological properties of Ag2O nanoparticles, encompassing their antimicrobial, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, wound healing, and immunomodulatory activities. The elucidation of mechanisms of action, including the generation of reactive oxygen species and interactions with cell membranes and DNA, is also discussed. Additionally, this study addresses the toxicological implications and possible environmental consequences linked to Ag2O nanoparticles. The review concludes by emphasizing the diverse utilization of Ag2O nanoparticles in various domains, including biomedicine and environmental restoration. The present study provides a thorough examination of the synthesis, biological activities, mechanisms, and applications of Ag2O nanoparticles. This investigation enhances our comprehension of their potential and establishes a foundation for further exploration in this captivating field of nanotechnology.
Keywords: Synthesis; Silver Oxide Nanoparticles; Characterizations; Biological Activities; Application; Future Perspectives
- Hamza M., et al. “Biologically synthesized zinc oxide nanoparticles and its effect-a review”. Acta Scientific Applied Physics9 (2022).
- Zahoor S., et al. “Biosynthesis and Anti-inflammatory Activity of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Using Leaf Extract of Senecio chrysanthemoides”. BioMed Research International (2023).
- Jadoun S., et al. “Green synthesis of nanoparticles using plant extracts: A review”. Environmental Chemistry Letters 19 (2021): 355-374.
- Aisida SO., et al. “Biosynthesis of silver oxide nanoparticles using leave extract of Telfairia Occidentalis and its antibacterial activity”. 36 (2021): 208-213.
- Manikandan R., et al. “Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using ethanolic petals extract of Rosa indica and characterization of its antibacterial, anticancer and anti-inflammatory activities”. 138 (2015): 120-129.
- Velsankar K., et al. “Green synthesis of silver oxide nanoparticles using Panicum miliaceum grains extract for biological applications”. Advanced Powder Technology7 (2022): 103645.
- Dharmaraj D., et al. “Antibacterial and cytotoxicity activities of biosynthesized silver oxide (Ag2O) nanoparticles using Bacillus paramycoides”. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 61 (2021): 102111.
- Parmar S., et al. “Recent advances in green synthesis of Ag NPs for extenuating antimicrobial resistance”. Nanomaterials7 (2022): 1115.
- Sakono N., et al. “Immobilization Method for Silver Nanoparticles Synthesized via Evaporation/Condensation onto a Glass Plate”. Chemistry Letters11 (2022): 1074-1076.
- Hasan S., et al. “Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles created by one step nanosecond Nd: YAG laser ablation in water”. Advances in Natural Sciences: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology2 (2023): 025013.
- Rajkumar P., et al. “Realization of ZnO microrods and Ag nanoparticles on glass and Si substrates by magnetron sputtering and near band edge photoluminescence enhancement from the exciton-plasmon system”. Materials Letters 325 (2022): 132898.
- Patel H and J Joshi. “Green and chemical approach for synthesis of Ag2O nanoparticles and their antimicrobial activity”. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology (2023): 1-13.
- Kaur N., et al. “Microwave assisted green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its application: A review”. Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials3 (2023): 663-672.
- Beyene HD., et al. “Synthesis paradigm and applications of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs), a review”. Sustainable Materials and Technologies 13 (2017): 18-23.
- Herrera-Marín P., et al. “Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using aqueous extract of the leaves of fine aroma cocoa Theobroma cacao linneu (Malvaceae): Optimization by electrochemical techniques”. Electrochimica Acta 447 (2023): 142122.
- Said A., et al. “Antibacterial activity of green synthesized silver nanoparticles using lawsonia inermis against common pathogens from urinary tract infection”. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology (2023): 1-14.
- Danish MSS., et al. “Green synthesis of silver oxide nanoparticles for photocatalytic environmental remediation and biomedical applications”. Metals5 (2022): 769.
- Habeeb Rahuman HB., et al. “Medicinal plants mediated the green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their biomedical applications”. IET Nanobiotechnology4 (2022): 115-144.
- Ullah Z., et al. “Biogenic Synthesis of Multifunctional Silver Oxide Nanoparticles (Ag2ONPs) Using Parieteria alsinaefolia Delile Aqueous Extract and Assessment of Their Diverse Biological Applications”. Microorganisms4 (2023): 1069.
- Wu X., et al. “Biogenic silver nanoparticles-modified forward osmosis membranes with mitigated internal concentration polarization and enhanced antibacterial properties”. npj Clean Water1 (2022): 41.
- Alaallah NJ., et al. “Eco-friendly approach for silver nanoparticles synthesis from lemon extract and their anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-cancer activities”. Journal of the Turkish Chemical Society Section A: Chemistry1 (2023): 205-216.
- Naganthran A., et al. “Synthesis, characterization and biomedical application of silver nanoparticles”. Materials2 (2022): 427.
- Vithiya K., et al. “Antimicrobial activity of biosynthesized silver oxide nanoparticles”. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 4 (2014): 3263-3268.
- Ahmad SA., et al. “Bactericidal activity of silver nanoparticles: A mechanistic review”. Materials Science for Energy Technologies 3 (2020): 756-769.
- Kailasa SK., et al. “Antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles, in Nanoparticles in pharmacotherapy”. Nanomedicine (2019): 461-484.
- Kim KJ., et al. “Antifungal activity and mode of action of silver nano-particles on Candida albicans”. 22 (2009): 235-242.
- Karunagaran V., et al. “Optimization of biosynthesis of silver oxide nanoparticles and its anticancer activity”. International Journal of Nanoscience 16 (2017): 1750018.
- Lin J., et al. “Inhibition of autophagy enhances the anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles”. Autophagy11 (2014): 2006-2020.
- Rohde MM., et al. “The mechanism of cell death induced by silver nanoparticles is distinct from silver cations”. Particle and Fibre Toxicology 18 (2021): 1-24.
- Kovács D., et al. “Cancer therapy by silver nanoparticles: fiction or reality?” International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2 (2022): 839.
- Jain A., et al. “Anti inflammatory activity of Silver nanoparticles synthesised using Cumin oil”. 12.6 (2019): 2790-2793.
- Martinez-Gutierrez F., et al. “Synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of antimicrobial and cytotoxic effect of silver and titanium nanoparticles”. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine5 (2010): 681-688.
- Lappas CMJF and c toxicology. “The immunomodulatory effects of titanium dioxide and silver nanoparticles”. Food and Chemical Toxicology 85 (2015): 78-83.
- Alavi M., et al. “The efficiency of metal, metal oxide, and metalloid nanoparticles against cancer cells and bacterial pathogens: different mechanisms of action”. 2.1 (2022): 10-21.
- Parham S., et al. “Antimicrobial treatment of different metal oxide nanoparticles: a critical review”. Journal- Chinese Chemical Society Taipei4 (2016): 385-393.
- Fernando S., et al. “Antimicrobial nanoparticles: applications and mechanisms of action”. Sri Lankan Journal of Infectious Diseases (2018).
- Maillard APF., et al. “Interaction of green silver nanoparticles with model membranes: possible role in the antibacterial activity”. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 171 (2018): 320-326.
- Bahadar H., et al. “Toxicity of nanoparticles and an overview of current experimental models”. Iranian Biomedical Journal 1 (2016): 1.
- Akter M., et al. “A systematic review on silver nanoparticles-induced cytotoxicity: Physicochemical properties and perspectives”. Journal of Advanced Research 9 (2018): 1-16.
- Levard C., et al. “Environmental transformations of silver nanoparticles: impact on stability and toxicity”. Environmental Science and Technology13 (2012): 6900-6914.
- Maurer-Jones MA., et al. “Toxicity of engineered nanoparticles in the environment”. Analytical Chemistry 6 (2013): 3036-3049.
- Ong C., et al. “Silver nanoparticles in cancer: therapeutic efficacy and toxicity”. Current Medicinal Chemistry 6 (2013): 772-781.
- Gao A., et al. “The effects of titania nanotubes with embedded silver oxide nanoparticles on bacteria and osteoblasts”. Biomaterials13 (2014): 4223-4235.
- Iqbal S., et al. “Application of silver oxide nanoparticles for the treatment of cancer”. Journal of Molecular Structure 1189 (2019): 203-209.
- Abbasi BA., et al. “Environmentally friendly green approach for the fabrication of silver oxide nanoparticles: Characterization and diverse biomedical applications”. Microscopy Research and Technique 11 (2020): 1308-1320.
- Miranda RR., et al. “Exploring silver nanoparticles for cancer therapy and diagnosis”. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 210 (2022): 112254.
- Yazdi MH., et al. “Metal, Metalloid, and Oxide Nanoparticles for Therapeutic and Diagnostic Oncology”. 8.4 (2016).
- Heinemann MG., et al. “Biogenic synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles used in environmental applications: A review”. 30 (2021): e00129.
- Deshmukh SP., et al. “Silver nanoparticles as an effective disinfectant: A review”. 97 (2019): 954-965.
- Lekha DC., et al. “Review on silver nanoparticle synthesis method, antibacterial activity, drug delivery vehicles, and toxicity pathways: recent advances and future aspects”. Journal of Nanomaterials 2021 (2021): 1-11.