Two-dimensional Lattice Auxetic Structures Based on Square Unit Cells
Malgorzata Plonska University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
*Corresponding Author: Julian Plewa, Malgorzata Plonska University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland.
June 09, 2023; Published: June 30, 2023
The article explores the possibility of producing auxetic lattice structures using rigid square unit cells. An effective method of connecting unit cells to each other is proposed, the resulting structures are constructed, and the relationships - including the magnitude of linear expansion and porosity - associated with the transition of the structure from the closed to the open position are determined. This is related to the stretching procedure of the structure, during which the square unit cells undergo both rotation and displacement. By folding the planar structures one on top of the other, a 2D type volumetric structure has been produced exhibiting auxetic behaviour. Such layered structures exhibit synchronised movement when opening or closing, resulting in uniform and easily controlled deformations. On this basis, physical models have been built to experimentally confirm the relationships determined with geometrical models. A set of auxetic networks with enhanced stiffness constructed from rigid square unit cells in the form of solid squares and square frames has been proposed.
Keywords: Lattice Structures; Rotating Squares; Negative Poisson's Ratio
- Paun F and Brechet Y. “Finite elements computation for the elastic properties of a regular stacking of hollow spheres Gasser”. Materials Science and Engineering: A 379 (2004): 240-244.v
- Yang DU., et al. “Geometric effects on micropolar elastic honeycomb structure with negative Poisson's ratio using the finite element method”. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design3 (2003): 187-205.
- Carlos J., et al. “Comparative study of auxetic geometries by means of computer-aided design and engineering”. Smart Materials and Structures 21 (2012): 12.
- Konakovic M., et al. “Beyond Developable: Computational Design and Fabrication with Auxetic Materials”. SIGGRAPH ’16 Technical Paper (2016): 24-28.
- Hablicsek M., et al. “Structural form-finding of Auxetic Materials using Graphic Statics”. Proc. IASS Annual Symp. 2020/21 and 7th Conf. Spatial Structures Inspiring the Next Generation 23 - 27 August. Guilford, UK (2021).
- Photiou D., et al. “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of 3D Printed Polymer Tetra-Petal Auxetic Structures under Compression”. Applied Sciences 11 (2021): 10362, 1-15.
- de Jonge CP., et al. “Non-Auxetic Mechanical Metamaterials”. Materials635 (2019): 1-21.
- Box F., et al. “Hard auxetic metamaterials”. Extreme Mechanics Letters100980 (2020): 1-6.
- Zheng X., et al. “Controllable inverse design of auxetic metamaterials using deep learning”. Materials and Design 110178 (2021): 2-11.
- Jiang Y and Li Y. “3D Printed Auxetic Mechanical Metamaterial with Chiral Cells and Re-entrant Cores”. Scientific Reports 8.2397 (2018): 1-11.
- Vafadar A., et al. “Advances in Metal Additive Manufacturing: A Review of Common Processes, Industrial Applications, and Current Challenges”. Applied Sciences1213 (2021): 1-31.
- Joseph A., et al. “On the application of additive manufacturing methods for auxetic structures: a review”. Advances in Manufacturing 9 (2021): 342-368.
- Mazurchevici AD., et al. “Additive manufacturing of composite materials by FDM technology: A review”. Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences2 (2021): 179-192.
- Aktay L., et al. “Numerical modelling of honey comb corecrush behaviour”. Engineering Fracture Mechanics 75 (2008): 2616‐2630.
- Hanssen A., et al. “A numerical model for bird strike of aluminium foam‐based sandwich panels”. International Journal of Impact Engineering 32 (2006): 1127‐1144.
- Xiong J., et al. “Sandwich Structures with Prismatic and Foam Cores: A Review”. Advanced Engineering Materials 1800036 (2018): 1-19.
- Gunaydina K., et al. “Failure analysis of auxetic lattice structures under crush load”. Procedia Structural Integrity 35 (2021): 237-246.
- Ingrole A., et al. “Design and Modeling of Auxetic and Hybrid Honeycomb Structures for In-Plane Property Enhancement”. Materials and Design 117 (2017): 72-83.
- Gunaydin K., et al. “In-plane Compression Behavior of Anti-tetrachiral and Re-entrant Lattices”. Smart Materials and Structures115028 (2019): 26-30.
- Johnston R and Kazanci, Z. “Analysis of Additively Manufactured (3D printed) Dual Material Auxetic Structures under Compression”. Additive Manufacturing 38 (2021): 1-19.
- Plewa J., et al. “Investigation of Modified Auxetic Structures from Rigid Rotating Squares”. Materials 2848 (2022): 1-11.
- Wallbanks M., et al. “On the design workflow of auxetic metamaterials for structural applications”. Smart Materials and Structures1-26 (2022): 023002.
- Feng Y., et al. “Creative design for sandwich structures: A review”. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems (2020): 1-24.
- Francisco MB., et al. “A review on the energy absorption response and structural applications of auxetic structures”. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures (2021): 1-20.
- De R. “Impact Analysis of Auxetic Structures for Military Applications”. International Journal for Research in Applied Science and Engineering Technology 9 (2021): 2238-2249.
- Gao Q., et al. “Geometrically nonlinear mechanical properties of auxetic double-V microstructures with negative Poisson’s ratio”. European Journal of Mechanics - A/Solids103933 (2020): 1-11.
- Grima JN., et al. “Auxetic behavior from rotating squares”. Journal of Materials Science Letters 19 (2000): 1563-1565.
- Grima-Cornish JN., et al. “Mathematical modeling of auxetic systems: bridging the gap between analytical models and observation”. International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering 16 (2021): 1-2.
- Wang Z., et al. “Progress in Auxetic Mechanical Metamaterials: Structures, Characteristics, Manufacturing Methods, and Applications”. 22.10 (2020): 1-11.
- Kelkar PU., et al. “Cellular Auxetic Structures for Mechanical Metamaterials: A Review”. Sensors 3132 (2020): 1-26.
- Dudek KK., et al. “The Multidirectional Auxeticity and Negative Linear Compressibility of a 3D Mechanical Metamaterial”. Materials 2193 (2020): 1- 16.
- Peraza-Hernandez EA., et al. “Origami-inspired active structures: a synthesis and review”. Smart Materials and Structures 23 (2018): 28.
- Ebrahimi H., et al. “3D cellular metamaterials with planar anti-chiral topology”. Materials and Design 145 (2018): 226-231.
- Birman V., et al. “Review of current trends in research and applications of sandwich structures”. Composites Part B: Engineering 142 (2018): 221-240.
- Clausen A., et al. “Topology optimized architectures with programmable Poisson’s ratio over large deformations”. Advanced Materials 27 (2015): 5523-5527.
- Seifi H., et al. “Design of Hierarchical Structures for Synchronized Deformations”. Scientific Reports41183 (2017): 1-7.
- Rueger Z., et al. “Flexible cube tilt lattice with anisotropic Cosserat eﬀects and negative Poisson’s ratio”. Physica Status Solidi 256 (2019): 1800512.
- Maran S., et al. “Additive Manufacture of 3D Auxetic Structures by Laser Powder Bed Fusion—Design Inﬂuence on Manufacturing Accuracy and Mechanical Properties”. Applied Science 7738 (2020): 1-19.
- Yang L., et al. “Mechanical properties of 3D re-entrant honeycomb auxetic structures realized via additive manufacturing”. International Journal of Solids and Structures (2015): 69-70, 475-490.
- Novak N., et al. “Crush behavior of auxetic cellular structures”. Science and Technology of Materials 30 (2018): 4-7.
- Smardzewski J., et al. “Compression and low velocity impact response of wood‑based sandwich panels with auxetic lattice core”. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 79 (2021): 797-810.
- Hou S., et al. “Mechanical properties of sandwich composites with 3d-printed auxetic and non-auxetic lattice cores under low velocity impact”. Materials and Design 160 (2018): 1305-1321.
- Yang L., et al. “A Comparison of Bending Properties for Cellular Core Sandwich Panels”. Materials Sciences and Applications 4 (2013): 471-477.
- Arifurrahman F., et al. “Experimental and numerical study of auxetic sandwich panels on 160 grams of PE4 blast loading all”. Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials8 (2021): 3902-3931.
- Michalski D and Strek JT. “Blast Resistance of Sandwich Plate with Auxetic Anti-tetrachiral Core”. Vibrations in Physical Systems2020317 (2020): 1-8.
- Almutairi MM., et al. “Thermal Behavior of Auxetic Honeycomb Structure: An Experimental and Modeling Investigation”. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, Transactions of the ASME12 (2018): 122904.
- Essassi K., et al. “Vibration behaviour of a bio-composite sandwich with auxetic core”. MATEC Web Conf. FCAC 283 (2019): 1-14.
- Abhishek A and Bhaska J. “Modelling and Dynamic Analysis of Auxetic Honeycomb Sandwich Structure using Finite Element Method”. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology 08 (2021): 1384-1389.
- Li T and Wang L. “Bending behavior of sandwich composite structures with tunable 3D-printed core materials”. Composite Structures1 (2017): 46-57.
- Deng QT and Yang ZC. “Effect of Poisson’s ratio on functionally graded cellular structures”. Material Express 6 (2016): 461-472.