Device Optimization of a High-Efficiency Lead-Free Perovskite-Perovskite Tandem Solar Cell
Mohammad Aminul Islam1*, Md Jakir Hossen1, Hairul Mardiah Hamzah1, Sharifah Fatmadiana Wan Muhammad Hatta1, Norhayati Binti Soin1 and Md. Bulu Rahman2
1Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaya, Jalan Universiti, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Science and Technology University, Gopalganj
*Corresponding Author: Mohammad Aminul Islam, Department of Electrical
Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaya, Jalan Universiti, Kuala
January 20, 2023; Published: March 03, 2023
Perovskite based tandem solar cell topologies have garnered a lot of interest in the field of photovoltaic for surpassing the single-cell efficiency limit and achieving the power conversion efficiency (PCE) beyond 30%. However, the PCE as well as stability of tandem solar cells may severely affected by the optical and electrical mismatching and choosing the wrong carrier transport materials, thus it is important to be optimized the active layers’ parameters for achieving optimum performance. In this study, the SCAPS 1D device simulation tool was utilized to optimize a highly efficient lead-free perovskite-perovskite tandem solar cell (PPTSC). The absorber material in the tandem structure was Cs2AgBi0.75Sb0.25Br6 (Eg = 1.80 eV) in the top cell and FAMASnGeI3 (Eg = 1.40 eV) in the bottom cell. The optimized device shows a promising PCE of 28.87% with high Voc of 2.08 V. The significant impact of device temperature has also been investigated and the temperature gradient found to be -0.098%/oC. We believe that the proposed device has enormous potential for the fabrication of a highly efficient PPTSC, and achieving successful commercialization.
Keywords: Perovskite-perovskite Tandem Solar Cell; Lead–free; SCAPS 1D; High Efficiency; Absorber Layer; Temperature Gradient
- Reyes-Belmonte M A. “Quo vadis solar energy research?”. Applied Sciences7 (2021): 3015.
- Shockley W and Queisser H J. “Detailed balance limit of efficiency of p‐n junction solar cells”. Journal of Applied Physics 3 (1961): 510-519.
- Wolf M. “Limitations and possibilities for improvement of photovoltaic solar energy converters: Part I: Considerations for earth's surface operation”. Proceedings of the IRE7 (1961): 1246-1263.
- Loferski J J. “Theoretical and experimental studies of tandem or cascade solar cells: A review”. In Conf. Rec. IEEE Photovoltaic Spec. Conf.; (United States) (No. CONF-820906-). Brown University, Providence, RI (1982).
- Hutchby JA., et al. “High-efficiency tandem solar cells on single-and poly-crystalline substrates”. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 35 (1994): 9-24.
- Jiang F., et al. “A two-terminal perovskite/perovskite tandem solar cell”. Journal of Materials Chemistry A4 (2016): 1208-1213.
- Kumar A and Singh S. “Computational simulation of metal doped lead-free double perovskite (Cs2AgBi0. 75Sb0. 25Br6) solar cell using solar cell capacitance simulator”. Materials Today: Proceedings 44 (2021): 2215-2222.
- Zhao P., et al. “Device simulation of inverted CH3NH3PbI3− xClx perovskite solar cells based on PCBM electron transport layer and NiO hole transport layer”. Solar Energy 169 (2018): 11-18.
- Chakraborty K., et al. “Numerical study of Cs2TiX6 (X= Br−, I−, F− and Cl−) based perovskite solar cell using SCAPS-1D device simulation”. Solar Energy 194 (2019): 886-892.
- Raoui Y., et al. “Performance analysis of MAPbI3 based perovskite solar cells employing diverse charge selective contacts: Simulation study”. Solar Energy 193 (2019): 948-955.
- Madan J., et al. “Device simulation of 17.3% efficient lead-free all-perovskite tandem solar cell”. Solar Energy 197 (2020): 212-221.
- Shamna M S., et al. “Simulation and optimization of CH3NH3SnI3 based inverted perovskite solar cell with NiO as Hole transport material”. Materials Today: Proceedings 33 (2020): 1246-1251.
- Minemoto T., et al. “Theoretical analysis of band alignment at back junction in Sn–Ge perovskite solar cells with inverted pin structure”. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 206 (2020): 110268.
- Jalalian D., et al. “Modeling of a high performance bandgap graded Pb-free HTM-free perovskite solar cell”. The European Physical Journal Applied Physics1 (2019): 10101.
- Mandadapu U., et al. “Simulation and analysis of lead based perovskite solar cell using SCAPS-1D”. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 11 (2017): 65-72.
- Islam M A., et al. “High mobility reactive sputtered CuxO thin film for highly efficient and stable perovskite solar cells”. Crystals 4 (2021): 389.
- Eperon G E., et al. “Perovskite-perovskite tandem photovoltaics with optimized band gaps”. Science 6314 (2020): 861-865.
- Singh N., et al. “Numerical simulation of highly efficient lead-free all-perovskite tandem solar cell”. Solar Energy 208 (2020): 399-410.
- Correa‐Baena J P., et al. “Unbroken perovskite: interplay of morphology, electro‐optical properties, and ionic movement”. Advanced Materials25 (2016): 5031-5037.
- Burdick J and Glatfelter T. “Spectral response and IV measurements of tandem amorphous-silicon alloy solar cells”. Solar Cells 18 (1986).
- Chen B., et al. “Grain engineering for perovskite/silicon monolithic tandem solar cells with efficiency of 25.4%”. Joule1 (2019): 177-190.
- Pandey R., et al. “Toward the design of monolithic 23.1% efficient hysteresis and moisture free perovskite/c-Si HJ tandem solar cell: a numerical simulation study”. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering6 (2019): 064001.
- Ramírez Quiroz C O., et al. “Interface molecular engineering for laminated monolithic perovskite/silicon tandem solar cells with 80.4% fill factor”. Advanced Functional Materials40 (2019): 1901476.
- Sahli F., et al. “Fully textured monolithic perovskite/silicon tandem solar cells with 25.2% power conversion efficiency”. Nature Materials9 (2018): 820-826.
- Leijtens T., et al. “Overcoming ultraviolet light instability of sensitized TiO2 with meso-super structured organometal tri-halide perovskite solar cells”. Nature Communications1 (2013): 2885.
- Han Y., et al. “Degradation observations of encapsulated planar CH₃NH₃PbI₃ perovskite solar cells at high temperatures and humidity”. (2015).
- Dong L., et al. “Elastic properties and thermal expansion of lead-free halide double perovskite Cs2AgBiBr6”. Computational Materials Science 141 (2018): 49-58.