A Case of Traumatic Reticulopericarditis in a 6-Year-Old Sanga Cow
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Zambia, Namibia
*Corresponding Author: Biswell Salimu, Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Zambia, Namibia.
March 21, 2023; Published: May 06, 2023
The current report describes a typical case of traumatic reticulopericarditis (TRP) in a six (6)-year-old Sanga breed cow that was presented to Ondangwa state veterinary clinic with a history of extended neck, loss of weight, lagging behind and reluctance to stand. On physical examination the cow was observed to have a swollen brisket, abducted forelimbs, an arched back and tachycardia with a characteristic muffled heart sound, a hyperkinetic pulse rate and tachypnea. Based on the history, physical examination and diagnostic tests (such as wither’s test, pole’s test, slope test and sharp turn test) a tentative diagnosis of traumatic reticulopericarditis was made. This was the basis for a poor diagnosis. Due to the poor prognosis, the cow was recommended for slaughter. Unfortunately, it died before slaughter a day after presentation. An on farm postmortem was conducted which confirmed the diagnosis as TRP due to a sharp wire that perforated the pericardium from the reticulum.
Keywords: Cow; Slaughter; Postmortem; Foreign Body; Traumatic Reticulopericarditis
- Athar Parrah H., et al. “Pericarditis in Bovines- A Review. Vol. 1. Sher-e-Kashmir”. International Journal of Advanced Veterinary Science and Technology (2012).
- Blowey Antony David Weaver and Roger. “Color atlas of diseases and disorders of cattle E-Book. 3rd. California: Mosby (2011).
- Bonnard L moseley. "Hardware disease in cattle”. Veterinary Diseases12 (2002): 34-45.
- , et al. “Diseaes of the alimentry tract”. New York: Black Inc (2012).
- Braun Lejeuene B., et al. “Clinical findings in 28 cattle with truamatic reticulopericarditis”. New York”. Veterinary Records (2007).
- Braun Schweizer U., et al. “Diagnosis by Ultrasonography of congestion of caudal vena cava secondary t thrombosis in 12 cows”. Internal Medicine150 (2002): 209-213.
- , et al. “Ultrasonography findings in cows with truamatic reticuloperitonitis”. Schweiz Arch: Veterinary Record (1993).
- Daniels Peter. “Traumatic Reticuloperitonitis”. New york: Merck Sharp and Dohme Corp (2016).
- Faisal Shaimaa. “Advanced techniquines in traumatic reticulopritonitis diagnosis”. baghdad: AL-Qadisiya Journal of Veterinary Medicine Science (2014).
- Garve Schiefer Beata and Searcy. "Disseminated intravascular coagulation and consumption coagulopathy”. The Canadian Veterinary Journal300 (2016): 151-159.
- Grunder M. “Abnormal cardiac sounds”. Veterinary Records (2002).
- Harvey, Nathan D. "Case report- Chronic Bovine Traumatic Reticuloperitonitis: an Unusual Presentation”. The Bovine Practitioner (New Bolton Center)02 (2008): 169-178.
- Jesty Sweeney R., et al. “Idiopathic pericarditis and cardiac temponade in two cows”. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (2005).
- Mellanby Henry J., et al. “Serum cardiac troponin I concentration in cattle with pericarditis. New York”. Veterinary Records (2007).
- , et al. “A textbook of diseases of cattle, horses, sheep, pigs and goats (10th edition)”. Saunders and Elsevier (2007).
- Radostits Gay CC., et al. “Disease of the pericardium in Veterinary medicine." In Diseases of cattle, Horses, Sheep, Pigs and Goats, edited by Saunders Elsevier, 430-432. Philadelphia: Black Inc (2007).
- Radostits Gay OM., et al. “A textbook of the diseases of Cattle, Sheep, Pigs, Goats and horses. philadelphia: WB Saunders Co (2000).
- Reef VB and SM McGuirk. “Diseases of the cardiovascular system. Volume. 4th”. Mosby, St. Louis, MO: Smith, B.P (2002).
- S Jesty., et al. “Idiopathic pericarditis and cardiac temponade in two cows”. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (2005).
- , et al. “Traumatic reticuloperitonitis and its sequelae”. Phiadelphia: WB Saunders Co (1999).
- Thartwat Mohammed. “Taumatic Pericarditis in cattle; Sonographic, echocardiolographic and pathologic findings”. Buraydah: Qassim University (2011).
- Ueli Sonja Braun., et al. “Treatment of 503 cattle with traumatic reticuloperitonitis”. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica (2018).