Study of some biological traits and population dynamics of the European sea
bass from Bardawil Lagoon, Sinai, Egypt
Alahmady Shafeek Al-Zahaby, Mohamed Ahmad Aly, El-drawany*, Haten hanafy Mahmoud and Mohamad Abdelnaby Abdalla
Department of Zoology, Zagazig University, Egypt
*Corresponding Author: Mohamed Ahmad Aly, El-drawany, Department of Zoology, Zagazig University, Egypt.
November 04, 2022; Published: November 22, 2022
Random samples of European sea bass, Dicentrarchus labrax (Linnaeus, 1758), were collected from different landing sites of Bardawil Lagoon, Egypt in order to investigate some of its biological aspects and population dynamics. This was done during the fishing seasons of 2011 and 2012, since the total length of samples was ranged from 18 to 62 cm. and total weight was fluctuated between 37.8 and 2250 g. Length-weight relationship was Tw = 0.007*TL3.075. The estimated total length at first capture (Lc) was 19.06 cm, while the total length at first maturity (Lm) was 25.9cm. The parameters of the von Bertalanffy growth function (VBGF) in length were K = 0.32 year-1, L∞ = 69.11cm and t0 = - 0.28 year. The mean of total mortality (Z), fishing mortality (F) and natural mortality (M) were 0.918, 0.471 and0.447 respectively. While the exploitation rate (E) was 0.513, which means that the stock of S. aurata in Bardawil Lake was worryingly exploited. Sea water enters the lagoon at present.
Keywords: European Sea Bass; Dicentrarchus Labrax; Bardawil Lagoon; Population Dynamics; Biological Traits; Length-Weight Relationship
- Abd-Alla. “Biological studies for the fishery regulations and management of the Bardawil lagoon”. Ph.D. Thesis, Fac. Enviro. Agri. Sci., Suez Canal Univ (2004): 184.
- Abdel-Hakim N., et al. “Length weight relationship, condition factor and stomach contents of the European seabass, Dicentrarchus labrax at Bardawil lagoon, North Sinai, Egypt”. Proceedings of the 3rd Global Fisheries and Aquaculture Research Conference, Foreign Agricultural Relations (FAR), Egypt (2010): 245-256.
- Abella A., et al. “Estimation of the parameters of the Caddy Reciprocal M-at-age model for the construction of natural mortality vectors”. Marine population dynamics. Cahiers Options Mediterranean's. Zaragoza 35 (1998): 191-200.
- Ahmed AS. “Studies on fish production in Lake Bardawil and impacts of some fish diseases on its productivity”. M. Sc. Thesis, Fac. Agriculture, Al-Azhar University (2011).
- Ameran M., et al. “Age, growth and mortality of the sea bass, Dicentrarachus labrax from the Bardawil lagoon, North Sinai, Egypt”. Conference. Sharm El-Shek. Egypt”. International Journal of Aquaculture and Fishery Sciences 2 (2008): 1110-8770.
- Arias A. “Crecimento, regimen alimentario y reproduction de la dorada (Sparus aurata ) y de1 robalo (Dicentrarchus labrax L.) en 10s esteros de Cadiz”. Investigaci6n Pesquera 44 (1980): 59-83.
- Bakhoum SA., et al. “Some biological aspects of European seabass, Dicentrarchus labrax, in Egyptian Mediterranean water and aquaculture Egypt”. Mediterranean Aquaculture Journal 7 (2015): 22-35.
- Barnabe G. “Methods for assessment of fish production (eggs and early life history) 166-199. Blackwell Sc. pub1. Oxford and Edinburg (1976).
- Bebars MI. “Second scientific report on the stock assessment management of the Bardawil lake fisheries submitted to the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (1986).
- Beverton RJH and Holt SJ. “A review of methods for estimating mortality rates in exploited fish populations, with special reference to sources of bias in catch sampling”. Rapports et Procès-Verbaux des RèunI ons Commission Internationale pour l’Exploration Scientifique de la Mer Méditerranée 140 (1956): 67-83.
- Bou Fain A. “Contribution a l etude morphologique, anatomique et biologique de Dicentrarchus labarax (Linne, 1758), Dicentrarchus punctata labrax (Linne, 1758) et Dicentrarchus punctata (Bloch, 1792) des cotes tunisiennes”. These de Docl. Specialite, Fac. Sc, Tunis (1977): 155.
- Cambie G., et al. “Size distribution of the European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) caught around Welsh waters. Preliminary results of the first sampling months (May-August 2013)”. Bangor University, Fisheries and Conservation Report No (2013): 26.
- Carroll A. “Population Dynamics of the European Sea Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) in Welsh Waters”. MSc Marine Environmental Protection Thesis, Bangor University (2014): 50.
- Chauvet C. “Comparaison de la croissance de huit populations mediterraneennes de la Daurade: Sparus aurata (1758, Pisces, Sparidae)”. Rapp. Comm. Int. Mer. Medit 27.5 (1981): 107-108.
- Claridge PN and Potter IC. “Movements, abundance, age composition and growth of bass, Dicentrarchus labrax, in the Severn Estuary and inner Bristol Channel”. Environmental Science Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom (1983): 871-879.
- Dufour V., et al. “Identification of sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) nursery areas in the north-western Mediterranean Sea”. Journal of the Marine Biological Association UK 89 (2009): 1367-1374.
- Dulcic J and Kraljevic M. “Weight-length relationships for 40 fish species in the eastern Adriatic (Croatian waters)”. Fisheries Research 28 (1996): 243-251.
- Fritsch M., et al. “Assessment of sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) stock delimitation in the Bay of Biscay and the English Channel based on mark-recapture and genetic data”. Fisheries Research 83 (2007): 123-132.
- Frost WE. “The age and growth of eels (Anguilla anguilla) from the Windermere catchment area. Part 2”. Journal of Animal Ecology 14 (1945): 106- 124.
- Gaber MD. “Bio-Economic study on fishery management in Bardawil lagoon”. M. Sc. Thesis, Fac. of Env. Agri. Sci., Suez Canal Univ., El-Arish (2007): 167.
- GFCM (General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean) (2013). On fisheries management measures for conservation of sharks and rays in the GFCM area (2013).
- Goncalves JMS., et al. “Weight-length relationships for selected fish species of the small-scale demersal fisheries of the south and south-west coast of Portugal”. Fisheries Research 30 (1997): 253-256.
- Gordo LS. “Age, growth and sexuality of sea bass Dicentrarchus labrax (Linnaeus, 1758) (Perciformes, Moronidae) from Aveiro lagoon, Portugal”. SCIENT. MAR 53.1 (1989): 121-126.
- Gulland JA. “The fish resources of the Ocean, Fishing News Books, Ltd., West Byfleet, UK (1971): 255.
- Haggag HM. “Studies on fishing methods used in Port Said Fishery”. Ph. D. Thesis, Fac. of Agri., Suez Canal Univ (2005): 235.
- Hegazy MR and Sabry EA. “Stock assessment for the sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax, Linnaeus 1758)-Pisces: Moronidae in Bardawil lagoon, Egypt”. Journal of the Egyptian-German Society of ZoologyB (2001): 41-55.
- ICES International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (2013) ICES WGCSE Report. Annex 2: Stock Annexe 10.1 (2013).
- Kennedy M and P Fitzmaurice. “The biology of bass Dicentrarchus labrax, in Irish water”. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 52 (1972): 557-597.
- Khalifa US. “Population characteristics and fisheries management of European seabass Dicentrarchus labrax, in Bardawil lagoon, Egypt”. African Journal of Biological Sciences 1.1 (): 69-78.
- Khalil M and Shaltout K. “Lake Bardawil and Zaranik protected area”. Publication of National Biodiversity Unit (2006): 15.
- Khalil M and Mehanna S. “Fishes and fisheries (Chapter, 9) in Lake Bardawil and Zaranik protected area”. Edit. Khalil, M. and Shaltout, K., 2006, Publ. of National Biodiversity Unit (2006): 15.
- Khalil M and Shaltout K. “Lake Bardawil and Zaranik protected area. Publication of National Biodiversity Unit. No. 15 (2006).
- Kirkwood P., et al. “Length Frequency Distribution Analysis (LFDA), Version 5.0. MRAG Ltd, London (2003).
- Lagler KF. “Fresh water fishery biology”. Ed. W. M. C., Brown Comp, Dubuque, Iowa (2018): 421.
- Law R. “Fisheries-induced evolution: present status and future directions”. Marine Ecology Progress Series 335 (2007): 271-277.
- Le Cern ED. “The length-weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in perch Perca fluviatilis”. Journal of Animal Ecology2 (1951): 201-219.
- Mcllwain JL., et al. “Spatial variation in age and growth of the Kingfish (Scomberomorus commerson) in the coastal waters of the Sultanate of Oman”. Fisheries Research 73 (2005): 283-298.
- Mehanna S., et al. “Population dynamics and fisheries regulations for the European seabass Dicentrarchus labrax (Moronidae) at Bardawil lagoon, Egypt”. Proceedings of the 3rd Global Fisheries and Aquaculture Research Conference, Foreign Agricultural Relations (FAR), Egypt (2010): 199-209.
- Morato T., et al. “Reproductive biology and recruitment of the white sea bream in the Azores”. Journal of Fish Biology 63 (2003): 59-72.
- Morey G., et al. “Weight-length relationships of littoral to lower slope fishes from the western Mediterranean”. Fisheries Research 62 (2003): 89-96.
- Moutopoulos DK., et al. “Investigation of length-weight relationships for 10 commercial fish species as a possible trophic state index of coastal Lagoons”. Acta Adriat 2 (2011): 261-268.
- Pauly D. “Some simple methods for the assessment of tropical fish stocks”. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper 234 (1983): 52.
- Pawson MG. “Climatic influences on the spawning success, growth and recruitment of bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) in British Waters”. ICES Marine Science Symposia 195 (1992): 388-392.
- Pawson MG and Pickett GD. “The annual pattern of condition and maturity in Bass, Dicentrarchus labrax, in waters around England and Wales”. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 76 (1996): 107.
- Pawson MG., et al. “The status of sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) stocks around England and Wales derived using a separable catch-at-age model, and implications for fisheries management”. ICES Journal of Marine Science 64 (2007): 346-356.
- Rafail SZ. “Studies of Red Sea fisheries by light and purse-seine near Al-Ghardaqa”. Bulletin of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries UAR 2 (1972): 25-49.
- Ricker WE. “Computation and interpretation of biological statistics of fish population”. Bulletin - Fisheries Research Board of Canada 191 (1975): 328.
- Shalloof KASH and El-Aiatt AAO. “Reproductive biology of European sea bass, Dicentrarchus labrax from Bardawil Lagoon, North Sinai, Egypt”. Abbassa International Journal for Aquaculture 12 (2019): 53-64.
- Shalloof KASH., et al. “Biological aspects of European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax,1758) from Bardawil Lagoon, North Sinai, Egypt”. Egyptian Journal of Zoology (EJZ) 72 (2019): 11-21.
- Salem M. “Biological studies for the fishery regulations and management of the Bardawil lagoon”. Ph.D. thesis, Fac. Envi. Agri. Sci. Suez Canal Univ, Egypt (2004).
- Stequert B. “Contribution a l etude du bar Dicentrarchus labarax (Linne), des reservoirs a poisons de la region d Arcachon”. These 3eme cycle. Fac. Sc. Bordeaux, France (1972): 149.
- Talaat KM., et al. “Growth and dynamics of bass Dicentrarchus labrax in Lake Edku. Egypt. 2nd edition Alex”. Conf. Fd. Sci. Tech (1992): 460-479.
- Taylor CC. “Temperature, growth and mortality-the Pacific cockle”. ICES Journal of Marine Science 26 (1960): 117-124.
- Vasconcelos RP., et al. “Juvenile fish condition in estuarine nurseries along the Portuguese coast”. Estuarine. Coastal and Shelf Science 82 (2009): 128-138.
- Vinagre C., et al. “Coastal versus estuarine nursery grounds: effect of temperature on growth, condition and metabolism in seabass, Dicentrarchus labrax”. Coastal and Shelf Science 109 (2012): 133-137.
- Wassef E. “Growth rate of Gilthead Bream Sparus aurata L”. Journal of King Abdulaziz University, Marine Science 1 (1990): 55-65.
- Wassef E and El Emary H. “Contribution to the biology of bass, Dicentrarchus labrax in the Egyptian Mediterranean waters off Alexandria”. Cybium 13.4 (1989): 327-345.