Saravanan M1*, Yogespriya S2, Ramkumar PK1, Kannan K1 and Senthilkumar S1
1Veterinary Clinical Complex, VCRI, Thanjavur, TANUVAS Chennai, India
2Department of Veterinary Medicine, VCRI, Thanjavur, TANUVAS Chennai, India
*Corresponding Author: Saravanan M, Veterinary Clinical Complex, VCRI, Thanjavur, TANUVAS Chennai, India.
Received: October 13, 2021; Published: October 26, 2021
Accidental ingestion of toxicant/poison is common issues in the pets, such kind of a case of one and half year-old Mongrel dog with the history of accidental ingestion of rat kill paste (Ratol@TM) about 2 hrs back, presented to the Veterinary Clinical Complex, VCRI, Orathanadu. Clinical examination revealed panting, tachycardia, dilated pupil and vomiting. Dog was provided with support was done and gastric lavage was done, followed by dog was kept in CCU for further monitoring. Hematology revealed mild anemia. Serum biochemical and blood gas analysis were within the reference interval. Dog was stabilized with fluids, antibiotics, antiemetic and provided supportive care. Acetylcysteine was initiated as protective measures to prevent acute hepatic damage. Further fluid therapy and supportive care continued for 6 hrs and dog improved by the 3rd hour onwards. The dog was successfully recovered with its normalcy. This case documented recovery followed emergency care which was instituted within 2 hrs.
Keywords: Ratol@TM Paste; Rodenticide; Yellow Phosphorus; Acetylcysteine; Gastric Lavage
Citation: Saravanan M., et al. “Emergency and Medical Management of Accidental Ingestion of Yellow Phosphorus-based Rat Bait in a Dog". Acta Scientific Veterinary Sciences 3.11 (2021): 57-60.
Copyright: © 2021 Saravanan M., et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.