Association between Binocular Vision and Sports: A Review
Assistant Professor, Assam Down Town University, Guwahati, Assam, India
*Corresponding Author: Dipangkar Deka, Assistant Professor, Assam Down Town University, Guwahati, Assam, India.
June 05, 2023 Published: June 15, 2023
Optometry's sport vision specialty examines, corrects, and enhances athletes' visual performance abilities. Sport has developed into a thriving, highly competitive sector of our society. Realizing one's full potential has been emphasized. Previous studies have revealed that visual reaction time and hand-eye coordination are two extremely important traits. Depending on what the surrounding sport needs are, a sport's level of ocular inclusion varies. It is uncommon for a study paper to state the theorem that visual exercise training can improve an athlete's visual abilities and that improved ocular function skills will improve an athlete's performance. The concept that visual exercise training can improve an athlete's visual abilities and that improved ocular function skills will improve an athlete's performance is uncommon in research papers. To address the plethora of exciting concerns raised by the connection between sports and eyesight, there is a need for research and the present review focuses on the same. In conclusion, the study shows that specific visual abilities, such as peripheral vision perception and choice response time, can be improved with the correct visual training exercises. Visual function abilities are automatically improved, and this is directly proportional to training. The ability to play multiple tasks in the central and peripheral visual fields at once and verify eminent separate objects, as in the different task of thing tracking, would not be identified in review article.
Keywords: The Binocular Vision Evaluation; Stereopsis; Depth Perception; Eye-Hand Coordination; Contrast Sensitivity; Visual Performance; Sport Vision Training; Sports Optometry
- Du Toit Peet J., et al. "Sport vision assessment in soccer players and sport science”. African Journal for Physical Health Education, Recreation and Dance4 (2009): 594-604.
- Rodrigues P. "Sports Vision: Influence on Athlete’s Performance”. Acta Scientific Ophthalmology5 (2020): 61-68.
- Laby D and Kirschen D. "A New Model for Sports and Performance Vision”. Vision Development and Rehabilitation 2 (2018): 85-91.
- Zwierko T., et al. "The effects of sports vision training on binocular vision function in Female University Athletes”. Journal of Human Kinetics 1 (2018): 287-296.
- Erickson Graham. "Innovations in Eye Care: Sport Vision”. Canadian Journal of Optometry3 (2017): 35-36.
- Powis Ben and Jessica Louise Macbeth. "We know who is a cheat and who is not. But what can you do?”: Athletes’ perspectives on classification in visually impaired sport”. International Review for the Sociology of Sport5 (2020): 588-602.
- Gallagher Liam. “Effect of a sport vision training programme on the batting performance and predictive judgment of high school level cricketers”. Diss. University of Johannesburg (2016).
- Wood Joanne M and Bruce Abernethy. "An assessment of the efficacy of sports vision training programs”. Optometry and Vision Science: Official Publication of the American Academy of Optometry8 (1997): 646-659.
- Paul Maman., et al. "Role of sports vision and eye hand coordination training in performance of table tennis players”. Brazilian Journal of Biomotricity2 (2011): 106-116.
- Kirscher D W. “Sports vision training procedures”. Optometry Clinics: The Official Publication of the Prentice Society1 (1993): 171-182.
- Zwierko Teresa., et al. "The effects of sports vision training on binocular vision function in female university athletes”. Journal of Human Kinetics49 (2015): 287.
- Kruger Pieter Ernst., et al. "The role of visual skills and its impact on skill performance of cricket players and sport science”. African Journal for Physical Health Education, Recreation and Dance4 (2009): 605-623.
- Hazel Charlotte A. "The efficacy of sports vision practice and its role in clinical optometry”. Clinical and Experimental Optometry3 (1995): 98-105.
- Sapkota Kishor., et al. "Visual status of Nepalese national football and cricket players”. Nepal Medical College Journal 4 (2006): 280-283.
- Shivaji G and G Jeyavelmurugan. "Effect of Visual Skill Fitness Training Programme on Selected Psychomotor Variables of Male Cricket Players”. International Journal of Science and Research3 (2013): 270-273.
- Mutasim Aunnoy K., et al. "Gaze tracking for eye-hand coordination training systems in virtual reality”. Extended Abstracts of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2020).
- Schwab S and Memmert D. “The impact of a sports vision training program in youth field hockey players”. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine4 (2012): 624.
- Batmaz Anil Ufuk., et al. "Eye-hand coordination training for sports with mid-air vr”. 26th ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (2020).
- Ellison Paul., et al. "Training in the dark: the influence of illumination on eye-hand coordination”.
- Jones Chris., et al. "The effect of stroboscopic vision training on eye-hand coordination”. British Psychological Society (BPS) Division of Sport and Exercise Science Conference (2016).
- By, Endorsed. "IFMBE Proceedings Volume 31”.
- Rudin Ahmad Mursyid Ahmad and Maryam Nazihah Sharipan. "Improvement of the saccadic eye movements with the sport training activity”. Proceedings of the 2nd International Colloquium on Sports Science, Exercise, Engineering and Technology 2015 (ICoSSEET 2015). Springer, Singapore, (2016).
- Hadlow Stephen Mark., et al. "Modified perceptual training in sport: a new classification framework”. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport9 (2018): 950-958.
- Bahdur K., et al. "The effects of a visual intervention programme on the visual skills of professional football players: sport vision”. African Journal for Physical Activity and Health Sciences (AJPHES)32 (2016): 920-931.
- Jorge Jorge and Paulo Fernandes. "Static and dynamic visual acuity and refractive errors in elite football players”. Clinical and Experimental Optometry1 (2019): 51-56.
- Tavares Emidio V., et al. "Screening of refractive errors and ocular disorders of professional soccer players”. Open Science Journal4 (2021).
- Kumar M Suresh. "Impact of sport vision training for enhancing selected visual skills and performance factors of novice hockey players”. Sports vision1 (2011): 1-5.
- Pileggi Hannah., et al. "Snapshot: Visualization to propel ice hockey analytics”. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics12 (2012): 2819-2828.
- Poltavski Dmitri and David Biberdorf. "The role of visual perception measures used in sports vision programmes in predicting actual game performance in Division I collegiate hockey players”. Journal of Sports Sciences6 (2015): 597-608.
- Loran Donald FC. "An overview of sport and vision”. Sports Vision. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd (1995): 1-21.
- Guillon Michel. "Vision science in sport update”. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye35 (2012): e43.
- Hitzeman Steven A and S A Beckerman. "What the literature says about sports vision”. Optometry Clinics: The Official Publication of the Prentice Society1 (1993): 145-169.
- Buys JHC and J T Ferreira. "The development of protocols and norms for sports vision evaluations”. African Vision and Eye Health3 (2008): 106-117.
- Stine C Douglas., et al. "Vision and sports: a review of the literature”. Journal of the American Optometric Association 8 (1982): 627-633.