Industrial Training/Internship in Toxicology: A Bridge Between Toxicology Awareness in Academics and Industries
Kunjan N Shah1*, Aayushi N Desai2, Sudhakar Jadhav1 and Manish V Patel1
1Jai Research Foundation, India
2SSR College of Pharmacy, India
*Corresponding Author: Kunjan N Shah, Jai Research Foundation, India.
April 05, 2023 Published: June 01, 2023
Toxicology has been in rapid demand for the past couple of years. Due to the recent advancements in technology, Toxicology studies are experiencing a major paradigm shift in terms of research and awareness. However, academics lag in exploring this field as a major subject in teaching. this review paper describes a) how an internship in toxicology helps in making up the gap between academics and industries. b) how an internship in this crucial field drives students to explore it as a career option. c) highlights the fact that toxicology is not a singular aspect in terms of research but is multidisciplinary and is voluminous and wide when it comes to toxicity studies. d) how an internship is rewarding in terms of professional and generic skill development for students. e) highlights the gap between the academic curriculum in terms of toxicology and the research aspect of toxicology in industries. This review sheds a light on how India has been keeping up with the pace by offering multiple courses in toxicology and a vast number of contract research organisations performing toxicology studies. This review paper will create awareness about this notable field among students and encourage them to the internship.
Keywords: Academic Institutes; Curriculum; Internship; CRO and Industries; Toxicology; Student
- Gundert-Remy Ursula., et al. "Toxicology: a discipline in need of academic anchoring—the point of view of the German Society of Toxicology”. Archives of Toxicology 89 (2015): 1881-1893.
- Jennings Paul., et al. "SEURAT-1 liver gold reference compounds: a mechanism-based review”. Archives of Toxicology 88 (2014): 2099-2133.
- Adler Sarah., et al. "Alternative (non-animal) methods for cosmetics testing: current status and future prospects—2010”. Archives of Toxicology 85 (2011): 367-485.
- Collins Francis S., et al. "Transforming environmental health protection”. Science5865 (2008): 906-907.
- Gault Jack., et al. "Undergraduate business internships and career success: are they related?”. Journal of Marketing Education1 (2000): 45-53.
- Beard Deborah F. "The status of internships/cooperative education experiences in accounting education”. Journal of Accounting Education3-4 (1998): 507-516.
- Beckett Helen. "All good practice”. People Management5 (2006): 38-40.
- Callanan Gerard and Cynthia Benzing. "Assessing the role of internships in the career‐oriented employment of graduating college students”. Education+training (2004).
- Mello Jeffrey A. "Enhancing the international business curriculum through partnership with the united states department of commerce: The “E” award internship program”. Journal of Management Education5 (2006): 690-699.
- Farrell Ann M. "What Teachers Can Learn from Industry Internships”. Educational Leadership6 (1992): 38-39.
- Fosdick James A. "Post-interns change views of the media, J-Education”. The Journalism Educator2 (1979): 22-26.
- Gary LD. "My summer intern experience at First Union Capital Markets Group”. (1999).
- Gault Jack., et al. "Effects of business internships on job marketability: the employers' perspective”. Education+Training1 (2010): 76-88.
- Raskin Miriam S. "The Delphi study in field instruction revisited: Expert consensus on issues and research priorities”. Journal of Social Work Education1 (1994): 75-89.
- Schambach Thomas P and Jim Dirks. "Student Perceptions of Internship Experiences”. (2002).
- Brooks Linda., et al. "The relation of career-related work or internship experiences to the career development of college seniors”. Journal of Vocational Behavior3 (1995): 332-349.
- Johari Abbas and Amy C Bradshaw. "Project-based learning in an internship program: A qualitative study of related roles and their motivational attributes”. Educational Technology Research and Development 56 (2008): 329-359.
- Narayanan Vadake K., et al. "Determinants of internship effectiveness: An exploratory model”. Academy of Management Learning and Education1 (2010): 61-80.
- Veenendall Thomas L and Andrew R Freeman. "Making an Internship Program Successful: The Necessary Ingredients”. (1983).
- Barry Hocking J., et al. "A knowledge transfer perspective of strategic assignment purposes and their path-dependent outcomes”. The International Journal of Human Resource Management3 (2004): 565-586.
- Lilienblum W., et al. "Alternative methods to safety studies in experimental animals: role in the risk assessment of chemicals under the new European Chemicals Legislation (REACH)”. Archives of Toxicology 82 (2008): 211-236.
- Duffus John H. “Environmental Toxicology”. Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd., (1980).
- Anderson Bruce., et al. “Encyclopedia of toxicology”. Academic Press, (2005).
- Wyman John F. "Principles and procedures in forensic toxicology”. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine3 (2012): 493-507.
- Jagriti Kumari. “Toxicology: Learning about the impact of chemicals on living beings”. Education Times October 20, (2020).
- Rosenblum Marcus. "Manpower needs for toxicology”. Archives of Environmental Health: An International Journal 3 (1968): 438-442.
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF AYURVEDA (nia.nic.in) for as Department of Agad Tantra (Medical Jurisprudence and toxicology).
- SCMS Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development, Kochi, Kerala | About College | Courses Offered | Contact Details (targetstudy.com) – for MSc in toxicology.
- msc_fiveyear_2019-20.pdf (annamalaiuniversity.ac.in), msc_twoyear_2019-20.pdf (annamalaiuniversity.ac.in) - MSc in zoology, Annamalai University.
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut (ccsuniversity.ac.in) – Department of Toxicology.
- Indravadan P. Patel Institute of Medical Technology and Research:: (drippmedical.in),:: Dr. Indravadan P. Patel Institute of Medical Technology and Research:: (drippmedical.in) – MSc and diploma in toxicology.
- Indian Institute of Toxicology, Pune - INDIA (iitoxicology.com).
- Services Offered – APT Testing and Research Pvt. Ltd (ntc-apt.com).
- Pharma/Bio Pharma (jrfglobal.com).
- Welcome to CSIR – Indian Institute of Toxicology Research, Government of India (iitrindia.org).
- ToxIndia Contractual Research Organization.
- Safety Assessment and Toxicology Services | Syngene CRO (syngeneintl.com).
- Analytical Testing Services in Delhi, Preclinical Services in India (iirt.in).
- LIVEON BIOLABS.
- Services – LTRPL (lavenderresearch.co.in).
- Regulatory (jdmresearch.com).
- Early Drug Discovery and Development Guidelines in 2022 (daburresearch.in).
- Biologics | Biosimilars Testing Services | Eurofins Advinus.
- Biotechnology Services in India l Bio-Services Industry l Biological Projects (averinbiotech.com).
- Toxicology | BRF (brfchennai.com).
- OrchidPharma Ltd.
- Nahler Gerhard and Gerhard Nahler. Dictionary of pharmaceutical medicine. Springer Vienna, (1994).
- Chaloner-Larsson Gillian., et al. “A WHO guide to good manufacturing practice (GMP) requirements. No. WHO/VSQ/97.01”. World Health Organization, (1999).
- Barchowsky Aaron., et al. "The Toxicology Education Summit: building the future of toxicology through education”. Toxicological Sciences2 (2012): 331-338.