Aducanumab, an FDA Approved Drug for Alzheimer’s Disease
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, Neuroscience, Rutgers University, USA
*Corresponding Author: Suman Chowdhury, Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, Neuroscience, Rutgers University, USA.
February 09, 2022 Published: March 30, 2022
Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is an irreversible, progressive and most common cause of dementia that destroys memory and thinking skill, it remains a global health concern with ever aging population. Discovered by Alois Alzheimer’s in 1906 , AD have been identified in 43.8 million people worlds wide . The pathological hallmarks of AD are intraneuronal neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs), extracellular deposits of amyloid-β (Aβ) peptides as ‘‘senile’’ β-amyloid plaques and decrease in neuronal cells.
- Hippius Hanns and Gabriele Neundörfer. "The discovery of Alzheimer's disease”. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience1 (2003): 101.
- Nichols Emma., et al. "Global, regional, and national burden of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016”. The Lancet Neurology1 (2019): 88-106.
- Cummings Jeffrey L., et al. "The costs of developing treatments for Alzheimer's disease: A retrospective exploration”. Alzheimer's and Dementia(2021).
- Alzheimer's Association. "Changing the trajectory of Alzheimer's disease”. Facts and Figures(2010).
- US Food and Drug Administration. "FDA grants accelerated approval for Alzheimer’s drug” (2021): 2021.
- Sevigny Jeff., et al. "The antibody aducanumab reduces Aβ plaques in Alzheimer’s disease”. Nature7618 (2016): 50-56.
- Weitz Tara M and Terrence Town. "Amyloid cascade into clarity”. Immunity4 (2016): 717-718.
- Siemers Eric R., et al. "Phase 3 solanezumab trials: secondary outcomes in mild Alzheimer's disease patients”. Alzheimer's and Dementia2 (2016): 110-120.
- Salloway Stephen., et al. "Two phase 3 trials of bapineuzumab in mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease”. New England Journal of Medicine4 (2014): 322-333.
- Honig Lawrence S., et al. "Trial of solanezumab for mild dementia due to Alzheimer’s disease”. New England Journal of Medicine4 (2018): 321-330.
- Cummings Jeffrey L., et al. "ABBY: A phase 2 randomized trial of crenezumab in mild to moderate Alzheimer disease”. Neurology21 (2018): e1889-e1897.
- Mahase Elisabeth. "Aducanumab: European agency rejects Alzheimer’s drug over efficacy and safety concerns”. BMJ 375 (2021): n3127.