Novel Herbal Approaches: The Emerging Paradigm for Effective Treatment
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, PCTE Group of Institutes, I.K. Gujral Punjab technical University, Near Baddowal Cantt, Ludhiana
*Corresponding Author: Rajni Dhiman, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, PCTE Group of Institutes, I.K. Gujral Punjab technical University, Near Baddowal Cantt, Ludhiana.
March 02, 2023; Published: April 27, 2023
New and better medications are needed since drug resistance is becoming a bigger issue. Natural products and biotherapeutics provide an enormous source of potential new drugs; however, there are difficulties associated with these fields, including the expense and length of time required for conventional drug discovery processes and the subsequent lack of investment from the pharmaceutical industry. Faster production of molecules with the right activity is made possible by new approaches. A viable strategy for increasing the number of drug advances available to modern medicine is the formulation of these in combination with drug-delivery systems. The benefits that several classes of drug-delivery systems bring to small molecule and biotherapeutic targeting are addressed in this article. This is an appealing strategy for the pharmaceutical sector, and a quick analysis of the expanding trend in this field of study is provided.
Keywords: Biotherapeutics; Drug-Delivery Systems; Drug Discovery; Natural Products
- Herbal Medicine Market Statistics, Growth, Demand, Revenue, Trends, Analysis Herbal Products and Opportunities (2021).
- Li D-C., et al. “Application of targeted drug delivery system in Chinese medicine”. Journal of Controlled Release 2 (2009): 103-112.
- Bhattacharya S. “Phytosomes: emerging strategy in delivery of herbal drugs and nutraceuticals”. PharmaTimes 3 (2009): 9-12.
- Cao FH., et al. “Study of preparation of matrin nanoemulsion and its anti-oxidation on mice”. Journal of Northwest Sci-Tech University of Agriculture and Forestry 3 (2007): 61-64.
- Zhaowu Z., et al. “Preparation of matrine ethosome, its percutaneous permeation in vitro and anti-inflammatory activity in vivo in rats”. Journal of Liposome Research 2 (2009): 155-162.
- Chen Y., et al. “Study of artemisinin nanocapsules as anticancer drug-delivery systems”. Nanomedicine 3 (2009): 316-322.
- Priprem A., et al. “Anxiety and cognitive effects of Quercetin liposomes in rats”. Nanomedicine 4 (2008): 70-78.
- Chauhan NS., et al. “Phytosomes: a potential phyto-phospholipid carriers for herbal drug delivery”. Journal of Pharmacy Research 7 (2009): 1267-1270.
- Burgess DJ and Hickey AJ. “Microsphere technology and applications. In: Swarbrick J, editor. Enclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. 3rd Vol.4. New York: Informa Healthcare (2009): 2328-2338.
- You J., et al. “Study of the preparation of sustained release microspheres containing zedoary turmeric oil by the emulsion solvent diffusion method and evaluation of the self-emulsification and bioavailability of the oil”. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 1 (2006): 35-41.
- Bisht S., et al. “Polymeric nanoparticle encapsulated curcumin (“nanocurcumin”): a novel strategy for human cancer therapy”. Journal of Nanobiotechnology 5 (2007): 3.
- Lertsutthiwong P., et al. “Preparation of alginate capsules containing turmeric oil”. Carbohydrate Polymers 74 (2008): 209-214.
- Tzu-Hui W., et al. “Preparation, physicochemical characterization and antioxidant effects of quercetin nanoparticles”. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 1-2 (2008): 160-168.
- Trickler WJ., et al. “A novel nanoparticle formulation for sustained Paclitaxel delivery”. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 9 (2008): 486-493.
- Xiaowei D., et al. “Doxorubicin and paclitaxel-loaded lipid-based nanoparticles overcome multidrug resistance by inhibiting p-glycoprotein and depleting ATP”. Cancer Research9 (2009): 3918-3926.
- Santosh S Bhujbal., et al. “A novel herbal formulation in the management of diabetes”. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation 4 (2011): 222-226.
- Momoh MA., et al. “Novel Drug Delivery System of Plant Extract for the Management of Diabetes: An Antidiabetic Study”. Journal of Dietary Supplements14 (2021): 252-263.
- Akolade JO., et al. “Encapsulation in chitosan-based polyelectrolyte complexes enhances antidiabetic activity of curcumin”. Journal of Functional Foods 35 (2017): 584-594.
- Rani R., et al. “Improvement of antihyperglycemic activity of nano-thymoquinone in rat model of type-2 diabetes”. Chemico-Biological Interactions 295 (2018): 119-132.
- Paul D., et al. “Comparative prophylactic effects of α-eleostearic acid rich nano and conventional emulsions in induced diabetic rats”. Journal of Food Science and Technology 9 (2014): 1724-1736.
- Xu HY., et al. “Nanoemulsion improves hypoglycemic efficacy of berberine by overcoming its gastrointestinal challenge”. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 181 (2019): 927-934.
- Amjadi S., et al. “Enhancement of therapeutic efficacy of betanin for diabetes treatment by liposomal nanocarriers”. Journal of Functional Foods 59 (2019): 119-128.
- Pk S., et al. “Anti-Diabetic Activity of Lycopene Niosomes: experimental Observation”. Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Development 4 (2017): 1.
- Singh J., et al. “Design, optimization, characterization and in-vivo evaluation of Quercetin enveloped Soluplus®/P407 micelles in diabetes treatment”. Artificial Cells, Nanomedicine, and Biotechnology 3 (2018): S546-S555.
- Gouda W., et al. “Effects of nano-curcumin on gene expression of insulin and insulin receptor”. Bulletin of the National Research Centre 1 (2019): 1.
- Zhao X., et al. “Preparation and characterization of betulin nanoparticles for oral hypoglycemic drug by antisolvent precipitation”. Drug Delivery 6 (2014a): 467-479.
- Wang Z., et al. “Berberine nanosuspension enhances hypoglycemic efficacy on streptozotocin induced diabetic C57BL/6 mice”. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (2015): 239749.
- Verma H., et al. “Herbal drug delivery system: a modern era prospective”. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research 4 (2013): 88-101.
- Garg R and Gupta G. “Gastroretentive floating microspheres of silymarin: preparation and in vitro evaluation”. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 1 (2010): 58-66.
- Saeema Farooq., et al. “Treatment of various health ailments with herbal medicines: A review”. International Journal of Computer Science and Information (2019).
- Luo CF., et al. “Metabolic profile of puerarin in rats after intragastric administration of puerarin solid lipid nanoparticles”. International Journal of Nanomedicine 8 (2013): 933-940.
- Dang YJ and Zhu CY. “Oral bioavailability of cantharidin-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles”. Chinese Medical Journal 8 (2013): 1-6.
- Ong YS., et al. “Thymoquinone loaded in nanostructured lipid carrier showed enhanced anticancer activity in 4T1 tumor-bearing mice”. Nanomedicine13 (2018): 1567-1582.
- Zhao YQ., et al. “Preparation and characterization of tetrandrine-phospholipid complex loaded lipid nanocapsules as potential oral carriers”. International Journal of Nanomedicine 8 (2013): 4169-4181.
- Sneha S., et al. “Biocompatible nanoparticles for sustained topical delivery of anticancer phytoconstituent quercetin”. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences13 (2013): 601-609.
- Sarwa KK., et al. “Potential of capsaicin-loaded transfersomes in arthritic rats”. Drug Delivery5 (2015): 638-646.
- Barani M., et al. “Lawsone-loaded niosome and its antitumor activity in MCF-7 breast cancer cell line: a nano-herbal treatment for cancer”. DARU 1 (2018): 11-27.
- Shen LN., et al. “Enhanced in vitro and in vivo skin deposition of apigenin delivered using ethosomes”. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 460 (2014): 280-288.
- Farooq S., et al. “Treatment of various health ailments with herbal medicines: A review”. International Journal of Information Technology and Computer Science 3 (2019): 205-218.
- Mohammad A., et al. “Delivering natural products and biotherapeutics to improve drug efficacy”. Therapeutic Delivery 11 (2017): 947-956.
- Kulkarni Giriraj T. “Herbal drug delivery systems: an emerging area in herbal drug research”. Journal of Chronotherapy and Drug Delivery (2011): 113-119.
- , et al. “Nano based drug delivery systems: recent developments and future prospects”. Journal of Nanobiotechnology 16 (2018): 71.
- Herbal Medicine Market Share, Size, Trends, Industry Analysis Report: By Regions, Segments and Forecast 2020-2026.
- Ajazuddin S Saraf. “Applications of novel drug delivery system for herbal formulations”. Fitoterapia 7 (2010): 680-689.