Protocols in Presurgical Infant Orthopaedic Treatment - An Evidence Based Review
N Khillon, A Fattal and M Zeinalddin*
Graduate, Craniofacial Orthodontics Fellowship, Chang Gung University, Taiwan, China
*Corresponding Author: M Zeinalddin, Graduate, Craniofacial Orthodontics
Fellowship, Chang Gung University, Taiwan, China.
July 18, 2022; Published: July 26, 2022
Presurgical infant orthopaedic (PSIO) protocol is applied prior to cleft Lip and/ cleft palate surgical intervention to facilitate the repair by restoring the alar base and maintaining the skeletal, soft tissue harmony. The objective of this review is to assess the literature on the presurgical infant orthopaedic protocol most widely used and accepted. Searches were made in PubMed, Cochrane and Google Scholar on cleft lip and/palate. A large number of articles documented approaching PSIO for cleft treatment with the intent to provide a satisfactory treatment for cleft patients, requiring far more than just correctional surgery and its ability to do so is unique. Craniofacial Orthodontists can choose from a wide array of treatment options for their patients and can learn from the outcomes attained by applying a combination of outcomes at various other centers.
Keywords:Systematic Review; Cleft Lip; Cleft Palate; Presurgical; Infant Orthopaedics; PSIO
- Hitesh Kapadia and Douglas Olson. “Nasoalveolar Moulding for unilateral and Bilateral cleft lip repair”. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America 32 (2020): 197-204.
- Grayson BH and Garfinkle JS. “Early cleft Management: the case for nasoalveolar moulding”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 2 (2014): 134-124.
- Diana S., et al. “Clinical Outcomes Utilizing a “Modified Latham” Appliance for Presurgical Infant Orthopedics in Patients with Unilateral Complete Cleft Lip and Palate”. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal7 (2019): 929-935.
- Santiago PE and Grayson BH. “Reduced need for alveolar bone grafting by presurgical orthopedics and primary gingivoperiosteoplasty”. Cleft Palate Craniofacial Journal1 (1998): 77-80.
- Monasterio L., et al. “Tratamiento Interdisciplinario de la Fisuras Labio-Palatinas”. Santiago: Luis Monasterio Aljaro (2008): 133-164.
- Luis Monasterio and Alison Ford. “Comparative Study of Nasoalveolar Molding Methods: Nasal Elevator Plus Dyna Cleft Versus NAM-Grayson in Patients with Complete Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate”. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal5 (2013): 548-554.
- Florian D., et al. “Facilitating CAD/CAM nasoalveolar molding therapy with a novel click-in system for nasal stents ensuring a quick and user-friendly chairside nasal stent exchange”. Scientific Reports 8 (2018): 12084.
- Chalmers EV., et al. “Intraoral 3D scanning or dental impressions for the assessment of dental arch relationships in cleft care: which is superior?” The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal5 (2016): 568-577.
- Ricardo Elizondo., et al. “Presurgical Preparation of Infants with Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: The SAC-PP-MR Innovative Technique”. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal3 (2019): 408-414.
- Bennun R., et al. “Non-Surgical correction of nasal deformity in unilateral complete cleft lip: a 6 year follow- up”. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery 104 (1999): 616.
- Grayson B and Shetya P. “Pre-surgical Naso-Alveolar Moulding treatment in CLP Patients”. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery Supplement 42 (2009): S56-S61.
- Liou E., et al. “The progressive changes of Nasal symmetry and grow after Naso-alveolar moulding: a three year follow-up study”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (2004): 114.
- Mohamed Ael-G., et al. “Is Taping alone an efficient pre-surgical infant orthopedic approach in infants with unilateral cleft lip and palate? A randomized control trial”. The Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Journal12 (2020).
- “Orthopedic advancement of the cleft maxillary segment: A preliminary report”. The Cleft-Palate Journal (1980).
- Diana SJ., et al. “Clinical Outcomes Utilising a “Modified Latham” Appliance for Presurgical Infant Orthopedics in Patients with Unilateral Complete Cleft Lip and Palate”. The Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Journal7 (2019).
- Sanjay Suri and Bryan Thompson. “A Modified Muscle-Activated Maxillary Orthopaedic Appliance for Presurgical Nasoalveolar Moulding in Infants with Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate”. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal3 (2004).
- Supakit Peanchitlertkajorn., et al. “An intercentre comparison of nasolabial appearance including a centre using Naso-Alveolar Moulding”. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal (2018).
- Ajay Bajaj., et al. “Modified Presurgical Naso-Alveolar Moulding in the infants with complete unilateral cleft Lip and Palate - A stepwise approach”. Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery (2011).
- P Priyanka Niranjane., et al. “Current status of presurgical infant orthopaedic treatment for cleft lip and palate patients: A critical review”. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery3 (2014).
- Chitravelu Siva Subramanian NKK., et al. “A modified Pre-surgical Orthopaedic (Nasoalveolar Moulding) device in the treatment of unilateral cleft lip and palate”. European Journal of Dentistry (2016).
- Percy Rossell-Perry. “The Surgical Nasoalveolar Moulding: A Rational Treatment for Unilateral Cleft Lip Nose Deformity and Literature Review”. PRS Global Open (2020).
- Puneet Batra., et al. “OrthoAligner NAM: A case series of pre-surgical infant orthopedics (PSIO) using clear Aligners”. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal5 (2020): 646-655.
- Khadega Ali Al Khateeb., et al. “Short term efficacy of pre- surgical vacuum formed Naso-Alveolar Moulding Aligners on Nose, Lip and Maxillary Arch Morphology in Infants with Unilateral cleft lip and palate: A prospective clinical trial”. The Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Journal7 (2020): 815-823.