Application of New Molecular Methods for TB Eradication: Gene Xpert Revisited
Amit Singh, Sohini Sengupta and Ashok Rattan*
Redcliffe National Reference Laboratory, Noida, India
*Corresponding Author: Ashok Rattan, Redcliffe National Reference Laboratory, Noida, India.
June 7, 2023; Published: July 20, 2023
While use of Gene Xpert (CBNAAT) has led to early detection of tuberculosis, using rifampicin (Rif) susceptibility as a surrogate marker for Multidrug resistance (MDR) TB may have been an over reach, with evidence emerging that INH monoresistance (IMR) occurs and if standard treatment is instituted based in Rif susceptibility, during continuation phase for four months only one effective drug would be administered, leading to compromised clinical response and promoting development of MDR TB.
Keywords: Multidrug Resistance; Computer Aided Diagnosis (CAD); Rifampicin
- Dalberg Global Development Advisor. “UNITAID end-of-project evaluation: TB GeneXpert – Scaling up access to contemporary diagnostics for TB”. January – March (2017).
- Arora D and Dhanashree B. “Utility of smear microscopy and GeneXpert for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical samples”. GERMS2 (2020): 81-87.
- Lawn SD and Nicol MP. “Xpert MTB/RIF assay: Development, evaluation and implementation of a new rapid molecular diagnostic for tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance”. Future Microbiology 9 (2011): 1067-1082.
- Elorraiga GG and Pineda GR. “Advances in the laboratory diagnosis of tuberculosis”. Medical Research Archives 1 (2021): 2-11.
- Zeka AN., et al. “Evaluation of the GeneXpert MTB/RIF Assay for Rapid Diagnosis of Tuberculosis and Detection of Rifampin Resistance in Pulmonary and Extrapulmonary Specimens”. Journal of Clinical Microbiology (2011): 4138-4141.
- Velen K., et al. “Performance of GeneXpert MTB/RIF for Diagnosing Tuberculosis Among Symptomatic Household Contacts of Index Patients in South Africa”. Open Forum Infectious Diseases® (2021): 1-7.
- Shaila D., et al. “Diagnostic challenges and Gene-Xpert utility in detecting Mycobacterium tuberculosis among suspected cases of Pulmonary tuberculosis”. Plos One (2021): 1-16.
- Chakravorty S., et al. “The New Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra: Improving Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Resistance to Rifampin in an Assay Suitable for Point-of-Care Testing”. mBio 4 (2017): e 008 12-17.
- Mekkaoui L., et al. “Performance of Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra for diagnosis of pulmonary and extra-pulmonary tuberculosis, one year of use in a multi-centric hospital laboratory in Brussels, Belgium”. Plos One4 (2020): e0249734 1-15.
- Chien JY., et al. “Usefulness of Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra to Rapidly Diagnose Sputum Smear-Negative Pulmonary Tuberculosis Using Bronchial Washing Fluid”. Frontiers in Microbiology (2020): 588963.
- Denkinger CM., et al. “Do We Need to Detect Isoniazid Resistance in Addition to Rifampicin Resistance in Diagnostic Tests for Tuberculosis?” Plos One 9 (2014): e84197.
- Leonela Villegas., et al. “Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Treatment Outcomes of Isoniazid- and Rifampicin Mono-Resistant Pulmonary Tuberculosis in Lima, Peru”. Plos One 5 (2016): e.0152933.
- Yuri F van der., et al. “Isoniazid mono-resistant tuberculosis is associated with poor treatment outcomes in Durban, South Africa”. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease6 (2017): 670-676.
- Renata Ba´ez-Saldaña., et al. “Isoniazid Mono-Resistant Tuberculosis: Impact on Treatment Outcome and Survival of Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients in Southern Mexico 1995-2010”. PLOS ONE (2016): e.0168955.
- Medea Gegia., et al. “Treatment of isoniazid-resistant tuberculosis with first-line drugs: a systematic review and meta-analysis”. Lancet Infectious Diseases 17 (2017): 223-234.
- O’Donnall M. “INH monoresistance: a precursor to multidrug resistance”. Annals ATS3 (2016): 306-307.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. INDIA TB REPORT 2022 Coming Together to End TB Altogether
- WHO Technical Expert Consultation Report. EVALUATION OF CENTRALIZED ASSAYS FOR TB DETECTION AND DETECTION OF RESISTANCE TO RIFAMPICIN AND ISONIAZID: (2019).
- Kohli M., et al. “Diagnostic accuracy of centralized assays for TB detection and detection of resistance to rifampicin and isoniazid: A systematic review and meta-analysis”. European Respiratory Journal 57 (2021): 2000747.