Scientific Tools and Techniques for Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis of Bacterial Proteins
Shah Dhrumi, Shukla Pooja, Meghani Sonali, Paterl Charmi, Rathod Zalak R* and Saraf Meenu S
Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology, University School of Sciences, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
*Corresponding Author: Rathod Zalak R, Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology, University School of Sciences, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
April 08, 2022; Published: April 29, 2022
Protein content can be measured using a variety of ways. The determination of nitrogen, peptide bonds, aromatic amino acids, dye binding capacity, ultraviolet absorptivity of proteins and light scattering properties among the core concepts of those approaches. Protein analysis and their application are essential for understanding the molecular logic of living cells, as they are one of the most impressive families of macromolecules. Some of the parameters like sensitivity, accuracy, precision, speed and cost of analysis all be taken into account when choosing a suitable method. Proteins are made up of amino acids but they are surrounded by multiple additional configurations creating an overcrowded environment that causes them to operate differently.
Keywords: Analysis; Zwitter Ion; Van-der-waals; Rf Value; HPLC; Reverse Phase Chromatography
- Bertholf Roger L. "Proteins and albumin”. Laboratory Medicine1 (2014): e25-e41.
- Chang Sam KC and Yan Zhang. "Protein analysis”. Food analysis. Springer, Cham (2017): 315-331.
- Ernst Orna and Tsaffrir Zor. "Linearization of the Bradford protein assay”. JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments)38 (2010): e1918.
- Fearon William Robert. "A Study of some Biochemical Tests. No. 2: The Adamkiewicz Protein Reaction. The Mechanism of the Hopkins-Cole Test for Tryptophan. A New Colour Test for Glyoxylic Acid”. Biochemical Journal5 (1920): 548-564.
- Fountoulakis Michael., et al. "Comparison of the Coomassie brilliant blue, bicinchoninic acid and Lowry quantitation assays, using non-glycosylated and glycosylated proteins”. Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods3-4 (1992): 265-274.
- Friedman Mendel and John W Finley. "Methods of tryptophan analysis”. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry4 (1971): 626-631.
- Gee Clifford T., et al. "Quantifying protein concentrations using smartphone colorimetry: a new method for an established test”. Journal of Chemical Education7 (2017): 941-945.
- Jadaun Gaurav Pratap Singh., et al. "HPLC for Peptides and Proteins: Principles, Methods and Applications”. Pharmaceutical Methods1 (2017).
- Janairo Gerardo., et al. "Determination of the sensitivity range of biuret test for undergraduate biochemistry experiments”. (2015).
- Kamineni S., et al. "Musculoskeletal protein analysis techniques—a review”. Journal of Rheumatology and Arthritic Diseases (2016): 1-9.
- Kareem M Abdul. "Experiment-6 Qualitative Tests for Amino Acids and Proteins”. Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, (2020).
- Kazmierczak D., et al. "Detection and separation of amino acids as butylthiocarbamyl derivatives by thin-layer chromatography with the iodine-azide detection system”. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies14 (2005): 2261-2272.
- Ke Shan and Robert Haselkorn. "The Sakaguchi reaction product quenches phycobilisome fluorescence, allowing determination of the arginine concentration in cells of Anabaena strain PCC 7120”. Journal of Bacteriology1 (2013): 25-28.
- Kruger Nicholas J. "The Bradford method for protein quantitation”. The Protein Protocols Handbook (2009): 17-24.
- Li Nana., et al. "Simultaneous HPLC determination of amino acids in tea infusion coupled to pre-column derivatization with 2, 4-dinitrofluorobenzene”. Food Analytical Methods5 (2016): 1307-1314.
- Mæhre Hanne K., et al. "Protein determination—method matters”. Foods1 (2018): 5.
- Malviya Rishabha, et al. "High performance liquid chromatography: a short review”. Journal of Global Pharma Technology5 (2010): 22-26.
- Mant Colin T and Robert S Hodges. " Analysis of peptides by high-performance liquid chromatography”. Methods in Enzymology271 (1996): 3-50.
- Molnar I and Cs Horváth. "Reverse-phase chromatography of polar biological substances: separation of catechol compounds by high-performance liquid chromatography”. Clinical Chemistry9 (1976): 1497-1502.
- Moore Stanford. "Amino acid analysis: aqueous dimethyl sulfoxide as solvent for the ninhydrin reaction”. Journal of Biological Chemistry23 (1968): 6281-6283.
- Mottram Vernon Henry. "A Note on the Hopkins and Cole Modification of the Adamkiewicz Test for Protein”. Biochemical Journal3 (1913): 249.
- Nakagawa Y and F L Coe. "A modified cyanide-nitroprusside method for quantifying urinary cystine concentration that corrects for creatinine interference”. Clinica Chimica Acta1-2 (1999): 57-68.
- Parvin R., et al. "On the colorimetric biuret method of protein determination”. Analytical biochemistry2 (1965): 219-229.
- Rathod Zalak R., et al. "A review on Phytochemical analysis of Secondary metabolites and Extraction techniques”. International Engineering Journal for Research and Development5 (2020): 1-10.
- Rathod Zalak R., et al. "Book Chapter: A Review On Extraction, Tools And Techniques Of Phytochemicals, PLANTA Research Book Series” 1 (2020): 129-140.
- Sapan Christine V., et al. "Colorimetric protein assay techniques”. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry2 (1999): 99-108.
- Soczewinski Edward. "Solvent composition effects in thin-layer chromatography systems of the type silica gel-electron donor solvent”. Analytical Chemistry1 (1969): 179-182.
- Soga Tomoyoshi., et al. "Qualitative and quantitative analysis of amino acids by capillary electrophoresis‐electrospray ionization‐tandem mass spectrometry”. Electrophoresis13 (2004): 1964-1972.
- Subroto Edy., et al. "The Analysis Techniques Of Amino Acid And Protein In Food And Agricultural Products”. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research 9 (2020): 29-36.
- Tomlinson G and T Viswanatha. "Determination of the arginine content of proteins by the Sakaguchi procedure”. Analytical Biochemistry1 (1974): 15-24.
- Waksmundzka-Hajnos Monika., et al. “Thin layer chromatography in phytochemistry”. CRC Press (2008).
- Waterborg Jaap H and Harry R Matthews. "The Lowry method for protein quantitation”. Basic Protein and Peptide Protocols (1994): 1-4.
- Zheng Kangle., et al. "Measurement of the total protein in serum by biuret method with uncertainty evaluation”. Measurement112 (2017): 16-21.
- Zor Tsaffrir and Zvi Selinger. "Linearization of the Bradford protein assay increases its sensitivity: theoretical and experimental studies”. Analytical Biochemistry2 (1996): 302-308.