Meta-topolin in Micropropagation of Medicinal Plants
Houston Community College, Houston, TX, USA
*Corresponding Author: Remya Mohanraj, Houston Community College, Houston, TX, USA.
October 21, 2021; Published: March 21, 2022
Tissue culture of valuable medicinal plants is paramount in conservation efforts and is also a prerequisite for genetic transformation. During micropropagation, cytokinins play a very critical role. Meta-topolin(mT), a natural aromatic cytokinin is gaining significance in plant tissue culture and has been reported to be beneficial not only in improving morphogenesis but also in overcoming tissue culture induced abnormalities. In addition, it could also aid in boosting secondary metabolite production. This article provides a comprehensive review of the utilization of meta-topolin in micropropagation of medicinal plants.
Keywords:Meta-topolin; Micropropagation; Medicinal Plants; Shoot Regeneration; Root Regeneration; Secondary Metabolites
- Chatterjee T and Ghosh B. “Micropropagation of Medicinal Plants: a Review”. International Journal of Economic Plants 7 (2020): 66-72.
- Meyer EM., et al. “In vitro shoot regeneration and polyploidy induction from leaves of Hypericum species”. HortScience 44 (2009): 1957-1961.
- Gantait S., et al. “Aloe vera: a review update on advancement of in vitro culture”. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B — Soil and Plant Science 64 (2014) :1-12.
- Gantait S and Mandal N. “Tissue culture of Anthurium andreanum: a significant review and future prospective”. International Journal of Botany 6 (2010): 207-219.
- Rezal NI., et al. “The effects of different strength of MS media in solid and liquid media on in vitro growth of Typhonium flagelliforme”. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 7 (2017): 151-156.
- Hill K and Schaller G E. “Enhancing plant regeneration in tissue culture: a molecular approach through manipulation of cytokinin sensitivity”. Plant Signaling and Behavior 8 (2013): e25709.
- van der Westhuizen A. “The Use Of Meta-Topolin As An Alternative Cytokinin In The Tissue Culture Of EucalyptusSpecies”. Acta Horticulturae 1055 (2014): 25-28.
- Horgan R., et al. “A new cytokinin from Populus x robusta”. Phytochemistry 14 (1975): 1005-1008.
- Miroslav S., et al. “Meta-topolin, a highly active aromatic cytokinin from poplar leaves (Populus × canadensis Moench., cv. Robusta)”. Phytochemistry 45 (1997): 213-218.
- Krishna Vrundha CP., et al. “The Role of Meta-topolin in Plant Morphogenesis In Vitro”. In: Ahmad N., Strnad M. (eds) Meta-topolin: A Growth Regulator for Plant Biotechnology and Agriculture. Springer, Singapore (2021).
- Stefaan PO., et al. “Meta‐topolin, an alternative to benzyladenine in tissue culture?”. Physiogia Plantarum 98 (1996): 291-297.
- Koç E. “Effects of Meta-topolin on the Growth, Physiological and Biochemical Parameters in Plant Tissue Culture”. In: Ahmad N., Strnad M. (eds) Meta-topolin: A Growth Regulator for Plant Biotechnology and Agriculture. Springer, Singapore (2021).
- Aremu AO., et al. “Topolins: A panacea to plant tissue culture challenges?”. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC) 108 (2012a): 1-16.
- Gantait S and Mitra M. “Role of Meta-topolin on in Vitro Shoot Regeneration: An Insight”. In: Ahmad N., Strnad M. (eds) Meta-topolin: A Growth Regulator for Plant Biotechnology and Agriculture. Springer, Singapore (2021).
- Strnad M. “The aromatic cytokinins”. Physiology Plant 101 (1997): 674-688.
- Dolezal K., et al. “New cytokinin derivatives - their discovery, development and use for micropropagation of endangered tree species”. BMC Proceedings 5 (2011): O46.
- Salvi ND., et al. “Micropropagation and field evaluation of micropropagated plants of turmeric”. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC) 68 (2002): 143.
- Agnieszka W. “Effect of meta-topolin on in vitro propagation of Pelargonium × Hortorum and Pelargonium × Hederaefolium cultivars”. Acta Societatis Botanicorum Poloniae 79 (2010): 101-106.
- Ptak A., et al. “Leucojum aestivum plants propagated in in vitro bioreactor culture and on solid media containing cytokinins”. Engineering in Life Sciences, Wiley-VCH Verlag,3 (2013): 261-270.
- Lata H., et al. “In vitro mass propagation of Cannabis sativa L.: A protocol refinement using novel aromatic cytokinin meta-topolin and the assessment of eco-physiological, biochemical and genetic fidelity of micropropagated plants”. Journal of Applied Research on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants 3 (2016): 18-26.
- Vijayakumar J., et al. “Influence of Meta-Topolin on Efficient Plant Regeneration via Micropropagation and Organogenesis of Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) cv. NARI-H-15”. American Journal of Plant Sciences 8 (2017): 688-705.
- Chauhan RD and Taylor NJ. “Meta-topolin stimulates de novo shoot organogenesis and plant regeneration in cassava”. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 132 (2018): 219.
- Naseem A and Mohammad F. “Preconditioning of nodal explants in Thidiazuron supplemented liquid media improves shoot multiplication in Pterocarpus marsupium (Roxb)”. Anees Ahmad, Naseem Ahmad, Mohmad Anis in Thidiazuron: From Urea Derivative to Plant Growth Regulator (eds) Springer (2018).
- Dhandapani E., et al. “Meta-Topolin (mT) enhances the in vitro regeneration frequency of Sesamum indicum (L.)”. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology 21 (2019): 101320.
- Khanam MN., et al. “Meta-Topolin induced in vitro regeneration and metabolic profiling in Allamanda cathartica L”. Industrial Crops and Products 145 (2020): 111944.
- Shekhawat MS., et al. “Meta-topolin and liquid medium enhanced in vitro regeneration in Scaevola taccada (Gaertn.) Roxb”. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology – Plant 57 (2021): 296-306.
- Bairu MW., et al. “Optimizing the micropropagation protocol for the endangered Aloe polyphylla: Can meta-topolin and its derivatives serve as replacement for benzyladenine and zeatin?” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 90 (2007): 15-23.
- Gentile A., et al. “Effect of meta-topolin on micropropagation and adventitious shoot regeneration in Prunus rootstocks”. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 118 (2014): 373-381.
29. Naaz A., et al. “Meta-topolin improved micropropagation in Syzygium cumini and acclimatization to ex vitro conditions”. Biologia plantarum 63 (2019): 174-182.
- Erişen E., et al. “In vitro propagation of Salvia sclarea by meta-Topolin, and assessment of genetic stability and secondary metabolite profiling of micropropagated plants”. Industrial Crops and Products 157 (2020): 112892.
- Kaur K., et al. “In vitro shoot multiplication using meta-Topolin and leaf-based regeneration of a withaferin A rich accession of Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal”. Industrial Crops and Products 171 (2021): 113872.
- Thakur M., et al. “Improving production of plant secondary metabolites through biotic and abiotic elicitation”. Journal of Applied Research on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants 12 (2019): 1-12.
- Cardoso J., et al. “Advances and challenges on the in vitro production of secondary metabolites from medicinal plants”. Horticultura Brasileira 37 (2019): 124-132.
- Turkyilmaz Unal B. “The Use of Meta-topolin in Cell and Tissue Cultures for Increasing Production of Secondary Metabolites”. In: Ahmad N., Strnad M. (eds) Meta-topolin: A Growth Regulator for Plant Biotechnology and Agriculture. Springer, Singapore (2021).
- Amoo S O and Van Staden J. “Influence of plant growth regulators on shoot proliferation and secondary metabolite production in micropropagated Huernia hystrix”. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 112 (2013): 249-256.
- Aremu AO., et al. “Assessment of the role of meta-topolins on in vitro produced phenolics and acclimatization competence of micropropagated ‘Williams’ banana”. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 34 (2012 b): 2265.
- Masondo, Nqobile Andile. “In vitro techniques for the improvement of growth and secondary metabolite production in Eucomis autumnalis subspecies autumnalis”. MSc., Thesis, College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science University of KwaZulu-Natal Pietermaritzburg, South Africa (2014).
- Nowakowska K and Pacholczak A. “Comparison of the Effect of Meta-Topolin and Benzyladenine during Daphne mezereum L. Micropropagation”. Agronomy 10 (2020): 1994.