A Comparative Analysis of COVID-19 Outbreak, Heterogeneous Vaccine Dissemination and Effectiveness of Public Health Strategies in African Countries
Pramita Chowdhury1, Arunima Bhattacharya2, Sohini Bose3 and Arup Kumar Mitra4*
1Department of Biochemistry, University of Calcutta, West Bengal, India
2Department of Biotechnology, St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), 30 Mother Teresa Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
3Department of Biophysics and Molecular Biology, Rajabazar Science College, University of Calcutta, West Bengal, India.
4Department of Microbiology, St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), 30 Mother Teresa Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
*Corresponding Author: Arup Kumar Mitra, Department of Microbiology, St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), 30 Mother Teresa Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
December 10, 2021; Published: January 31, 2022
The entire globe even with organized public health system is suffering from COVID-19 pandemic due to the Increasing rate of transmissibility and pathogenicity of SARS-CoV-2. In Africa, where the pandemic is expanding, there are major loopholes in financial resources, knowledge, health-care infrastructure, protective equipment, response capacity etc. Apart from this, Africa is torn by hunger, others disease outbreaks like Ebola, AIDS, TB which weaken this continent to fight against COVID-19. Here we summarized (a) the current scenario of COVID-19 outbreak in 11 African countries (b) the state of public health care infrastructure that might shape the devastating effect of pandemic crisis (c) the mode of heterogeneity in vaccine distribution policy in 11 African countries and the impact of vaccination to manage the pandemic (d) the improved strategies of the roll-model African country to deal with the rampant COVID-19. We highlighted that many high-income country like South Africa, Nigeria etc. were unable to deal with the outbreak due to lack of planning, useful policies, effective strategies, but in spite of being that a number of low-income African countries like Rwanda, Seychelles etc. have taken action swiftly by activating necessary policies, financial tools, effective strategies of vaccination to combat the disease. Variations in epidemiology, socio-economic factors in Africa shape the pandemic in a dynamic way and therefore, the findings of this review unpack broad lessons relating to Africa’s capacity, success story, and strategy to contain the pandemic that should be considered as a part of remarkable framework in COVID-19 management.
Keywords:SARS-CoV-2; COVID-19 Vaccine; COVID-19; Africa; COVAX
- Zhou P., et al. “A pneumonia outbreak associated with a new coronavirus of probable bat origin”. Nature 7798 (2020): 270-273.
- World Health Organization. “WHO coronavirus disease (COVID-19) dashboard”. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland (2020).
- Abdelhafiz AS., et al. “Knowledge, Perceptions, and Attitude of Egyptians Towards the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)”. Journal of Community Health 5 (2020): 881-890.
- Dhand R and Li J. “Coughs and Sneezes: Their Role in Transmission of Respiratory Viral Infections, Including SARS-CoV-2”. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 5 (2020): 651-659.
- Wetsman N. “WHO declares the outbreak of the new coronavirus is a pandemic”. The Verge (2020).
- El-Sadr WM and Justman J. “Africa in the Path of COVID-19”. New England Journal of Medicine3 (2020): 11.
- Osseni IA. “COVID-19 pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa: preparedness, response, and hidden potentials. Tropical Medicine and Health1 (2020): 1-3.
- “First case of corona virus disease confirmed in Nigeria” (2020).
- Coronavirus live updates. “Lesotho becomes last African nation to report a coronavirus case". Los Angeles Times (2020).
- Kebede Y., et al. “Knowledge, perceptions and preventive practices towards COVID-19 early in the outbreak among Jimma university medical center visitors, Southwest Ethiopia”. PLoS One5 (2020): e0233744.
- Akalu Y., et al. “Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Towards COVID-19 Among Chronic Disease Patients at Addis Zemen Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia”. Infection and Drug Resistance 13 (2020): 1949-1960.
- Tessema SK and Nkengasong JN. “Understanding COVID-19 in Africa”. Nature Reviews Immunology 21 (2021): 469-470.
- “A second COVID-19 case is confirmed in Africa” (2020).
- “COVID-19 dashboard” (2020).
- Africa CDC. “Africa CDC - COVID-19 daily updates”. (2020).
- “First case of corona virus disease confirmed in Nigeria”. Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (2020).
- “Coronavirus: Nigeria 'strengthens' surveillance at five international airports”. Premium Times 29 January (2020).
- Ifijeh Martins. “FG Sets up Coronavirus Preparedness Group”. This Day Newspaper (2020).
- “COVID-19 in Nigeria: The lies they told!”. The Informant 247 News (2021).
- Minister Zweli. “Mkhize reports first case of Covid-19 Coronavirus”. South African Ministry of Health. 5th (2020).
- “South Africa moves to lockdown level 1 – here are the changes” (2020).
- Evans Jenni. “Covid-19: SA enters second wave as Mkhize warns of surge in infections among teens”. News 24 (2020).
- “Ramaphosa urges diligence as he tightens Covid-19 restrictions”. Business LIVE (2021).
- “COVID-19 Weekly Epidemiology Brief”. Week 18 (2020).
- Ferial Haffajee., et al. “Coronavirus Explainer: Maverick Insider Covid-19 Questions, Answered”. Daily Maverick (2020).
- “Egypt announces first Coronavirus infection”. Egypt Today (2020).
- Kasraoui S. “Morocco Records First Case of Coronavirus” (2020).
- “Ethiopia confirms first coronavirus case: Live updates”. aljazeera.com (2020).
- “Libya confirms first coronavirus case amid fear over readiness” (2020).
- Al Jazeera. “Libya frees more than 450 prisoners to stem spread of coronavirus” (2020).
- “Tunisia reports no new coronavirus cases for the first time since early March” (2020).
- “Congo records five new Ebola cases, shelves declaration of end to epidemic” (2020).
- “Democratic Republic of Congo sees 1st coronavirus death”. www.aa.com.tr (2020).
- “Deadly COVID-19 Delta variant taking hold in Africa”. Sub-Saharan Africa (2021).
- “Rwanda confirms first case of coronavirus – health ministry” (2020).
- Ashimwe Edwin. “Rwanda deploys drones to raise Covid-19 awareness in communities” (2020).
- Paradise Seychelles is Covid-19 free. Travel Daily News International (2020).
- Bonnelame Betymie. “Seychelles upgrades COVID-19 precautions for travellers amid global spike in cases”. Seychelles News Agency (2020).
- Burke J. “African nations impose stricter measures as coronavirus spreads”. The Guardian (2020).
- Status for udvikling af B.1.1.7 og andre mere smitsomme varianter i Danmark (in Danish). Statens Serum Institut (2021).
- “WHO Director-General's statement on Tanzania and COVID-19”. World Health Organization 20 (2021).
- “Outbreak brief 77: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic”. Africa CDC (2021): 10.
- Aborode AT., et al. “Equal access of COVID-19 vaccine distribution in Africa: Challenges and way forward”. Journal of Medical Virology 9 (2021): 5212-5215.
- “Nigeria to reopen vaccination for first COVID-19 shots” (2021).
- “Government officials have dismissed COVID-19 vaccines and promoted unfounded remedies”. Munyaradzi Makoni reports 397 (2021).
- Drissi Bourhanbour A and Ouchetto O. “Morocco achieves the highest COVID-19 vaccine rates in Africa in the first phase: what are reasons for its success?” Journal of Travel Medicine 4 (2021): taab040.