Evaluation and Comparison of Osteoinductive and Osteoconductive Bone Replacement Implant Materials in Treatment of Human Periodontal Osseous Defects. (A Clinical Controlled Study)
Specialty, Dentistry, Periodontics and Implantology, India
*Corresponding Author: Shallen Verma, Specialty, Dentistry, Periodontics and Implantology, India.
Received: August 11, 2023; Published: August 30, 2023
A Study was done to evaluate and compare clinically, soft tissue and hard-tissue changes on implanting of bone substitutes i.e. DFDBA (De-calcified freeze Dried Bone allografts) and Osteogen (RA resorb) in predominantly horizontal defects associated with prognostically hopeless teeth in contrast to conventional treatment for same osseous defects.
A total of 14 patients were recruited for the study spanning over 9 months and subjects were briefed about the rigorous protocol of study and informed consent was taken. After completion of Phase-I therapy and demonstration of acceptable oral hygiene by patients, baseline examination was carried out. Soft tissue assessments were done followed by the surgical procedure i.e. open flap curettage.
The post-operative assessment was done first at 3 months to evaluate the soft tissue response to treatment. Finally, after a span of 9 months, soft tissue assessments were made.
Keywords: Osteoinductive; Osteoconductive Bone Replacement; Implant; Human Periodontal Osseous Defects; DFDBA (De-Calcified Freeze Dried Bone Allografts)
- Becker W., et al. “New attachment after treatment with root isolation procedures: Report for treated class-II and III furcations and vertical osseous defects”. International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry14 (1988): 9-23.
- Becker W., et al. “A comparison of Demineralized freeze-dried bone and autologous bone to induce bone formation in human extraction sockets”. Journal of Periodontology 65 (1994): 1128-1133.
- Bowen JA and Mellonig JT. “Comparison of decalcified freeze-dried bone allograft and porous particulate hydroxyapatite in human periodontal osseous defects”. Journal of Periodontology 60 (1989): 647-654.
- Carranza FJr. “Glickman's clinical periodontology”. Seventh edition. W.B. Saunders Company, Philade1phia (1990).
- Carranza FJr and Kenny E. “Histologic study of healing of human periodontal defects after placement of porous hydroxyapatite implants”. Journal of Periodontology 58 (1987): 682.
- Chan FC and Bergeron. “Reliability of attachment level measurements using the cemento-enamel junction and a plastic stent”. Journal of Periodontology 58 (1987): 115.
- Freeeman E and Boetto. “Histological evaluation of durapatite in experimental periodontal defects”. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association 50 (1984): 239.
- Gordon J., et al. “Efficacy of Listerine antiseptic in inhibiting the development of plaque and gingivitis”. Journal of Clinical Periodontology l2 (1985): 697-704.
- Haffajee AD., et al. “Clinical microbiological and immunological features subjects with refractory periodontal diseases”. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 15 (1988): 390-398.
- “Beta Tricalcium phosphate and autogenous and allogenic bone for filling periodontal defects, alveolar ridge augmentation and pulp capping: Council on dental materials, instruments and Equipment”. Council on dental research, council on Dental therapeutics: JADA 108 (1984): 824.
- Kramer G. “Surgical alternatives in regenerative therapy of periodontium”. International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 12 (1992): 11.
- Krejci CB and Bissada NF. “Clinical evaluation of porous and non-porous hydroxyapatite in the treatment of human periodontal bony defects”. Journal of Periodontology 38 (1987): 521-528.
- Langer BL., et al. “Early re-entry procedure Part-II”. A five year histological evaluation”. Journal of Periodontology (1981): 135-139.
- Lekovic V., et al. “The use of porous HA implant in periodontal defects. Clinical results”. Journal of Periodontology 56 (1985): 82.
- Libin B. “Decalcified lyophilized bone allografts for use in human periodontal defects”. Journal of Periodontology 46 (1975): 51.
- lobene R., et al. “A modified gingival index for use in clinical trials”. International Journal of Clinical Preventive Dentistry 8 (1986): 3.
- Loe H and Silness J. “Periodontol disease in pregnancy-II. Co-relation between oral hygiene and periodontal condition”. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 21 (1954): 121.
- Low SB and Ciancio SG. “Reviewing non-surgical periodontal therapy”. Journal of the American Dental Association 121 (1990): 467-470.
- Lynch SE. “Methods for evaluation of regenerative procedures”. Journal of Periodontology 63 (1992): 1085-1092.
- Macewan Quoted by converse, J.M. in reconstructive plastic surgery. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia and London 1 (1969): 150.
- Meadows CL and Gherm E. “A comparison of polylactic acid granules and decalcified freeze - dried bone allograft in human periodontal osseous defects”. Journal of Periodontology2 (1993): 103-109.
- Mellonig JT. “Comparison of bone graft materials. Part-I Bone formation with Autografts and Allografts determined by strontium-85”. Journal of Periodontology 52 (1981): 291.
- Mellonig J. “Osseous grafts and periodontal regeneration”. Periodontal Regeneration: Current status and directions. Quintessence Publishing Co. Inc. Chicago (1994): 91.
- Miller SC. Text book of Periodontia 3rd Edition, Philadelphia (1950).
- Ogiso M and Ishida K. “Clinical application of apatite implant and experimental study of healing process of mucous membrane around implant”. 8th Annual Meeting Society Biomaterials (1982): 77.
- Oreamuno S and Lekovic V. “Comparative clinical study of porous hydroxy apatite and decalcified freeze dried bone in human periodontal defects”. Journal of Periodontology 61 (1990): 399.
- Pearson G. “ROSEN Preliminary observations on the usefulness of decalcified freeze-dried cancellous bone allograft material periodontal surgery”. Journal of Periodontology 52 (1981): 55.
- Philstrom BL. “Measurement of attachment levels in clinical trials Probing methods”. Journal of Periodontology 63 (1992): 1072-1077.
- Polson AM and Heijl LC. “Occlusion and periodontal disease”. DCNA 24 (1980): 4.
- Polson A. “Periodontal Regeneration: Current status and directions”. Quintessence Publishing Co. Inc. Chicago (1994).
- Proye M., et al. “Initial healing of periodontal pockets after a single episode of root planing monitored by controlled probing force”. Journal of Periodontology 53 (1982): 296-301.
- Quintero G., et al. “A six month clinical evaluation of decalcified freeze dried bone allograft in human periodontal defects”. Journal of Periodontology 53 (1982): 726.
- Ricci J and Blumenthal N. “Low temperature calcium phosphate particulate implant material: Physical-chemical properties and in vivo bone response”. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 50 (1992): 969.
- Shetty V and Han T. “Alloplastic materials in reconstructive periodontal surgery”. DCNA 35 (1991).
- Sivertson JF and Burgett FG. “Probing of pockets related to the attachment level”. Journal of Periodontology 47 (1976): 281-286.
- Schallhorn RG. “Post-operative problems associated with iliac transplants”. Journal of Periodontology 43 (1972): 3.
- Stahl S and Froum S. “Histologic and clinical responses to porous hydroxyapatite implants in human periodontal defects: Three to twelve months post-implantation”. Journal of Periodontology 58 (1987): 689.
- Turesky S and Gilmore ND Glickman. “Reduced plaque formation by the chloromethyl analogue of Vitamin’s”. Journal of Periodontology 41 (1970): 41.
- Wagner J. “A clinical and histological case study using resorbable hydroxyapatite for repair of osseous defects prior to end osseous implant surgery”. The Journal of Oral Implantology 15 (1989): 186.
- Whittaker JM., et al. “Histological response and clinical evaluation of Heterograft and alloplastic materials in the elevation of the maxillary the preparation of endosteal dental elevation and root from implantation. An eight month Autopsy report”. Implantology 15 (1989): 141-144.
- World workshop in periodontics (1989).
- Yukna R and Harrison B. “Evaluation of durapatite ceramic in periodontal osseous defects. Twelve month re-entry results”. Journal of Periodontology 56 (1985): 540.
- Yukna RA. “Osseous response to HA: Grafting versus open flap debridement”. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 56 (1989): 540.