Vitamin D and Oral Health
Mohamed Irfan1* and Badruddin Ahmed Bazmi2
1Consultant Family Medicine, Primary HealthCare Corporation, Qatar
2Specialist Pedodontist, Primary HealthCare Corporation, Qatar
*Corresponding Author: Badruddin Ahmed Bazmi, Specialist Pediatric Dentist
Primary Health Care Corporation, Qatar.
Received: July 31, 2023; Published: August 23, 2023
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble Vitamin that helps the body to absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus for tooth and bone mineralization. The two major forms of Vitamin D are Vitamin D2 and D3. While Vitamin D2 is manufactured through ultraviolet irradiation of ergosterol from yeast, Vitamin D3 results from ultraviolet irradiation of 7-dehydrocholesterol from lanolin exhibiting the biological activity of cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), and it is synthesized in the human skin. It is not commonly found in natural diet and are mainly taken as supplements. Vitamin D has a significant role in calcium homeostasis and metabolism. Vitamin D is also very effective along with minerals in the protection of oral health. Vitamin D helps maintain the calcium-phosphate balance and contributes to the shaping of the bone. It also has important functions by showing anti-inflammatory effects. Deficiency of Vitamin D has been linked to major changes in the tooth tissue as such developmental anomaly, teeth decay, gingivitis and periodontal disease. This article discusses the details effect of Vitamin D on tooth and its surrounding tissues.
Keywords: Vitamins; Vitamin D; Dental Caries; Periodontal Disease
- Borel P., et al. “Vitamin D bioavailability: State of the art”. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 55 (2015): 1193-1205.
- Holick MF and Chen TC. “Vitamin D deficiency: A worldwide problem with health consequences”. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 87 (2008): 1080-1086.
- Turck D., et al. “Update of the tolerable upper intake level for vitamin D forinfants”. EFSA Journal 16 (2018): 1-118.
- Wilson LR., et al. “Vitamin D deficiency as a public health issue: Using Vitamin D2 or Vitamin D3 in future fortification strategies”. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 76 (2017): 1-8.
- Jones G. “The discovery and synthesis of the nutritional factor vitamin D”. International Journal of Paleopathology 23 (2018): 96-99.
- Holick MF. “Vitamin D deficiency”. The New England Journal of Medicine 357 (2007): 266-281.
- Lanham-New SA and Wilson LR. “Vitamin D-Has the new dawn for dietary recommendations arrived?” Nutrition Bulletin 41 (2016): 2-5.
- Girgis CM., et al. “The roles of vitamin D in skeletal muscle: Form, function, and metabolism”. Endocrine Reviews 34 (2013): 33-83.
- Morris HA and Anderson PH. “Autocrine and paracrine actions of vitamin d”. Clinical Biochemist Reviews 31 (2010): 129-138.
- Bikle DD. “Vitamin D and the immune system: Role in protection against bacterial infection”. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension 17 (2008): 348-352.
- Bikle DD. “Vitamin D metabolism, mechanism of action, and clinical applications”. Chemical Biology 21 (2014): 319-329.
- Jeon SM and Shin EA. “Exploring vitamin D metabolism and function in cancer”. Experimental and Molecular Medicine 50 (2018): 20.
- Kongsbak M., et al. “The vitamin D receptor and T cell function”. Frontiers in Immunology 4 (2013): 1-10.
- Richard CL., et al. “Involvement of 1,25D3-MARRS (membrane associated, rapid response steroid-binding), a novel vitamin D receptor, in growth inhibition of breast cancer cells”. Experimental Cell Research 316 (2010): 695-703.
- McKenna MJ and Murray B. “Vitamin D Deficiency”; Springer: New York, NY, USA (2014).
- Hilger J., et al. “A systematic review of vitamin D status in populations worldwide”. British Journal of Nutrition 111 (2014): 23-45.
- de Boer IH. “Vitamin D deficiency”. In Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis, and Transplantation; Elsevier Saunders: Philadelphia, PA, USA 357 (2010): 115-127.
- Mogire RM., et al. “Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in Africa: A systematic review and meta-analysis”. The Lancet Global Health 8 (2020): e134-e142.
- Aguiar M., et al. “The economic case for prevention of population vitamin D deficiency: A modelling study using data from England and Wales”. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 74 (2019): 825-833.
- Alonso MA., et al. “Vitamin D deficiency in children: A challenging diagnosis!” Pediatric Research 85 (2019): 596-601.
- White JH. “Vitamin D and human health: More than just bone”. Nature Reviews Endocrinology 9 (2013): 623.
- Fathi N., et al. “Role of vitamin D and vitamin D receptor (VDR) in oral cancer”. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 109 (2019): 391-401.
- Gröber U and Kisters K. “Influence of drugs on vitamin D and calcium metabolism”. Dermatoendocrinology 4 (2012): 158-166.
- Chapple ILC., et al. “Interaction of lifestyle, behaviour or systemic diseases with dental caries and periodontal diseases: Consensus report of group 2 of the joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases”. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 44 (2017): S39-S51.
- Uwitonze AM., et al. “Effects of vitamin D status on oral health”. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 175 (2018): 190-194.
- Peres MA., et al. “Oral diseases: A global public health challenge”. Lancet 394 (2019): 249-260.
- Watt RG., et al. “Ending the neglect of global oral health: Time for radical action”. Lancet 394 (2019): 261-272.
- Hujoel PP. “Vitamin D and dental caries in controlled clinical trials: Systematic review and meta-analysis”. Nutrition Reviews 71 (2013): 88-97.
- Schroth RJ., et al. “Vitamin D status of children with severe early childhood caries: A case-control study”. BMC Pediatrics 13 (2013): 174.
- Dietrich T., et al. “Association between serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D 3 and periodontal disease in the US population 1-3”. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 80 (2004): 108-113.
- Scardina GA and Messina P. “Good oral health and diet”. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology 2012 (2012): 1-8.
- White JH. “Vitamin D metabolism and signaling in the immune system”. Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders 13 (2012): 21-29.
- Ganesh ML., et al. “Acceleration of tooth movement during orthodontic treatment-A frontier in orthodontics”. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 9 (2017): 741-744.
- Martínez-Maestre MA., et al. “Periodontitisand osteoporosis: A systematic review”. Climacteric 13 (2010): 523-529.
- Foster BL., et al. “The rachitic tooth”. Endocrine Reviews 35 (2014): 1-34.