Clear Aligners-An Insight: A Review
Nawal Saleem1*, Mohammed Saleem2, Rayeesa Saleem3, Naveen Krishna Kumar4 and Syed Ahmed Raheel5
1Senior lecturer, Department of Orthodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India
2Professor and HOD, Department of Prosthodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India
3Department of Conservative and Endodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India
4Professor and HOD, Department of Orthodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India
5Professor and HOD, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, KGF College of
Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India
*Corresponding Author: Nawal Saleem, Senior lecturer, Department of
Orthodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India.
Received: June 13, 2023; Published: June 27, 2023
Esthetics plays an explicit role in the life of each and every individual with the face forming an integral part of it. Tooth play a very important role in not only chewing food, but also helps determine the facial profile of the individual, rendering them with a pleasant smile. Repositioning of teeth by conventional orthodontic brackets is slowly being replaced by the advanced form of orthodontic treatments such as invisible aligners. The ability of aligners to overcome the shortcomings of the brackets has increased the popularity of aligners as an effective alternative in the treatment of malocclusion. However, its efficacy still remains inconclusive in severe orthodontic cases due to lack of definitive scientific evidence. This review focuses on the journey of invisible aligners along with their applications.
Keywords:Clear Aligners; Invisible Aligners; Retainers; Orthodontics; Occlusion; Esthetics; Brackets
- Mary AV. “Invisible Aligners- Is it the future of Orthodontics? International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology”. Journal of Advanced Medical and Dental Sciences Research 7 (2018): 144-147.
- Heloisa Alves de Figueiredo Sousa. “Invisible orthodontic aligners: a review”. Research, Society and Development1 (2021): e5510111259.
- , et al. “A comparison of treatment effectiveness between clear aligner and fixed appliance therapies”. BMC Oral Health 19 (2019): 24.
- Wells GA., et al. “The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality if nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses”. Clinical Epidemiology (2018).
- d’Apuzzo., et al. “Clear aligner treatment: different perspectives between orthodontists and general dentists”. Progress in Orthodontics 20 (2019): 10.
- Kesling HD. “The philosophy of tooth positioning appliance”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Oral Surgery 31 (1945): 297-304.
- Hennessy J and Al-Awadhi EA. “Clear aligners generations and orthodontic tooth movement”. Journal of Orthodontics1 (2016): 68-76.
- Kuo E and Miller RJ. “Automated custom-manufacturing technology in orthodontics”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 123 (2003): 578-581.
- Putrino A., et al. “A current tool in facial aesthetics perception of orthodontic patient: The digital warping”. Dental Cadmos 89 (2012): 46-52.
- Doomen RA., et al. “Mogelijkheden en beperkingen van orthodontische behandeling met clear aligners. Een verkenning [Possibilities and limitations of treatment with clear aligners. An orientation]”. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 125 (2018): 533-540.
- Kumar K., et al. “Invisalign-A Transparent braces”. Journal of Advanced Medical and Dental Sciences Research 7 (2018): 148-150.
- Muggiano F and Quaranta A. “The aesthetic alternative in orthodontics with sequential aligners”. The Invisalign system, WebmedCentral - Review articles (2016): 1-6.
- XiemPhan and PaulH Ling. “Clinical limitations of Invisalign”. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association3 (2007): 263-266.
- L Joffe. “Current Products and Practice Invisalign: early experiences”. Journal of Orthodontics 30 (2003): 348-352.
- Rinchuse DJ and Cozzani M. “Effectiveness and efficiency in clinical orthodontic practice”. International Orthodontics 13 (2015): 507-524.
- Weir T. “Clear aligners in orthodontic treatment”. Australian Dental Journal 62 (2017): 58-62.
- Thukral R and Gupta A. “Invisalign: Invisible Orthodontic Treatment-A Review”. Journal of Advanced Medical and Dental Sciences Research5 (2015): S42-S44.
- Rossini G., et al. “Periodontal health during clear aligners treatment: a systematic review”. European Journal of Orthodontics (2015): 539-543.
- Fahmida Binti Abd Rahman and Saravanan Pandiyan. “Invisible appliances in orthodontics treatment - A review”. Drug Invention Today4 (2018): 3546-3551.
- Rossini G., et al. “Efficacy of clear aligners in controlling orthodontic tooth movement: a systematic review”. The Angle Orthodontist 85 (2015): 881-889.
- Pavoni C., et al. “Self-ligating versus Invisalign: analysis of dento-alveolar effects”. Annali di Stomatologia 2 (2011): 23-27.
- Grunheid T., et al. “Effect of clear aligner therapy on the buccolingual inclination of mandibular canines and the inter-canine distance”. The Angle Orthodontist 86 (2016): 10-16.
- Hennessy J., et al. “A randomized clinical trial comparing mandibular incisor proclination produced by fixed labial appliances and clear aligners”. The Angle Orthodontist 86 (2016): 706-712.
- Kuncio D., et al. “Invisalign and traditional orthodontic treatment postretention outcomes compared using the American Board of Orthodontics objective grading system”. The Angle Orthodontist 77 (2007): 864-869.