E-Learning in Orthodontic Education: Assessment of a Virtual Case-Based (eCBL) Treatment
Planning Course Using SOLO and BLOOM’s Taxonomy
Maria Karakousoglou*, Jayakumar Jayaraman, Vanessa Chrepa and Ravikumar Anthony
Department of Developmental Dentistry/Orthodontics Division, UT Health San
Antonio, United States
*Corresponding Author: Maria Karakousoglou, Department of Developmental
Dentistry/Orthodontics Division, UT Health San Antonio, United States.
Received: October 14, 2022; Published: November 21, 2022
This study investigates the effectiveness and learning outcomes of a virtual Case Based Learning (eCBL) Orthodontic Treatment Planning Course at the UT Health San Antonio Orthodontic and Dentofacial Orthopaedics Residency Program. The course was established in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak to preserve academic continuity through distance-leaning modules. The assessment tools used were a) Structure of Observed Learning Outcome (SOLO) taxonomy, b) Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, and c) American Board of Orthodontists (ABO) Domains of Assessment and were completed in 6 sessions. Participants in the study were post- graduate orthodontic residents in the Fall Semester of 2020 enrolled in the eCBL course “Treatment Review and Progress,” and their performance was recorded through a post-course written exam, which was evaluated by three experienced educators and ABO Certified Orthodontists. The results indicated that students performed significantly better on levels associated with higher-order cognitive skills and a deeper understanding of the diagnostic and treatment concepts. We conclude that the proposed Case Based Learning Virtual Seminar is an effective teaching method to promote learning at a cognitively complex level appropriate for advanced postgraduate dental curriculum.
Keywords:E-Learning; Orthodontic; eCBL; SOLO; BLOOM’s Taxonomy
- Desai Bhakti K. “Clinical implications of the COVID-19 pandemic on dental education”. Journal of Dental Education5 (2020): 512.
- Quinn Barry., et al. “COVID-19: The immediate response of European academic dental institutions and future implications for dental education”. European Journal of Dental Education4 (2020): 811-814.
- Morales-Salas., et al. “Evaluation of virtual learning environments. A management to improve” (2020).
- Shrivastava Kirti Jajoo., et al. “A cross-sectional virtual survey to evaluate the outcome of online dental education system among undergraduate dental students across India amid COVID-19 pandemic”. European Journal of Dental Education (2021).
- Subramanian Anuradha., et al. “Novel educational approach for medical students: improved retention rates using interactive medical software compared with the traditional lecture-based format”. Journal of Surgical Education4 (2012): 449-452.
- Biggs JB and Collis KF. “Evaluating the quality of learning: the SOLO taxonomy (Structure of the observed learning outcome)”. New York: Academic Press (1982).
- Conklin Jack. "A taxonomy for learning, teaching, and assessing: A revision of Bloom's taxonomy of educational objectives complete edition” (2005): 154-159.
- Sivaraman S Ilango and Dinesh Krishna. "Blooms Taxonomy–application in exam papers assessment”. Chemical Engineering (VITU)12 (2015): 32.
- Tadlock Larry P., et al. “American Board of Orthodontics: Update on the new scenario- based clinical examination”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics6 (2019): 765-766.
- Barone Nicholas., et al. “American Board of Orthodontics: Progress of the scenario- based clinical examination”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics1 (2020): 14-15.
- , et al. “The effectiveness of case-based learning in health professional education. A BEME systematic review: BEME Guide No. 23”. Medical Teacher 34.6 (2012): e421-e444.
- McLean Susan F. "Case-based learning and its application in medical and health-care fields: a review of worldwide literature”. Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development 3 (2016): JMECD-S20377.
- Wood Diana F. "Problem based learning”. BMJ 7384 (2003): 328-330.
- Van Rossum Erik Jan and Simone M Schenk. "The relationship between learning conception, study strategy and learning outcome”. British Journal of Educational Psychology1 (1984): 73-83.
- Boulton-Lewis Gillian M. "The SOLO taxonomy as a means of shaping and assessing learning in higher education”. Higher Education Research and Development2 (1995): 143-154.
- Gonzalez-Cabezas Carlos., et al. “Association between dental student-developed exam questions and learning at higher cognitive levels”. Journal of Dental Education11 (2015): 1295-1304.
- Adams Nancy E. "Bloom’s taxonomy of cognitive learning objectives”. Journal of the Medical Library Association: JMLA3 (2015): 152.
- Sinclair Peter M and Richard G Alexander. "Orthodontic graduate education survey”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics2 (1984): 175-181.
- Will Leslie A. "The history of orthodontic education: A century of development and debate”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics6 (2015): 901-913.
- Gies William J. "Orthodontic education”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Oral Surgery6 (1938): 522-525.
- Hughes, Janeen M., et al. “Learning styles of orthodontic residents”. Journal of Dental Education3 (2009): 319-327.
- Tabatabai, Shima. "COVID-19 impact and virtual medical education”. Journal of Advances in Medical Education and Professionalism3 (2020): 140-143.
- Lima Marcelo Silva., et al. “Effectiveness of the distance learning strategy applied to orthodontics education: A systematic literature review”. Telemedicine and e-Health12 (2019): 1134-1143.
- Miller Kenneth T., et al. “Use of recorded interactive seminars in orthodontic distance education”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics3 (2007): 408-414.
- Naserud Din S. "Introducing scenario-based learning interactive to postgraduates in UQ Orthodontic Program”. European Journal of Dental Education3 (2015): 169-176.
- Nadershahi Nader A., et al. “An Overview of Case–Based and Problem-Based Learning Methodologies for Dental Education”. Journal of Dental Education10 (2013): 1300-1305.
- Alhazmi, Anwar, and Mir Faeq Ali Quadri. "Comparing case-based and lecture-based learning strategies for orthodontic case diagnosis: A randomized controlled trial”. Journal of Dental Education (2020).
- Haden NK., et al. “Curriculum change in dental education, 2003-09”. Journal of Dental Education 5 (2010): 539-557.
- Bearn DR and SM Chadwick. "Problem-based learning in postgraduate dental education: a qualitative evaluation of students’ experience of an orthodontic problem- based postgraduate programme”. European Journal of Dental Education1 (2010): 26-34.
- Yip HK and RJ Smales. "Review of competency-based education in dentistry”. British Dental Journal6 (2000): 324-326.
- Thammasitboon Kewalin., et al. “Problem-based learning at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine: self-assessment of performance in postdoctoral training”. Journal of Dental Education8 (2007): 1080-1089.
- Bednar Eric D., et al. “Application of distance learning to interactive seminar instruction in orthodontic residency programs”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics5 (2007): 586-594.