Evaluation of Different Molding Techniques and Variable Palatal Vaults on the Linear Dimensional Accuracy of Heat Polymerised Acrylic Resin
Amudhavalli, Chitra Shankar Krishnan*, Jayakrishnakumar S, Hariharan Ramasubramanian, Hariharan Ramakrishnan, Azhagarasan NS , Vallabh Mahadevan
Ragas Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
*Corresponding Author: Chitra Shankar Krishnan, Professor, Department of Prosthodontics and Implantology, Ragas Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
Received: April 14, 2022; Published: September 21, 2022
Aim: To comparatively evaluate the effect of two different molding techniques and two different palatal vault depths on the linear dimensional accuracy of acrylic resin denture bases.
Materials and Methods: Forty denture bases were processed by compression and injection molding techniques on casts with medium and deep palatal vaults respectively and grouped as, Groups IA and IB: Compression molded denture bases on casts with medium and deep palatal vaults and Groups IIA and IIB: Injection molded denture bases on casts with medium and deep palatal vaults respectively. The denture base-cast assemblies were sectioned 14 mm anterior from the posterior border in the frontal section and interface gap values between the denture base and cast were measured at selected reference areas using video measuring microscope. Results were analyzed using One Way Analysis of Variance (ANOVA), Post-hoc Tukey's HSD analysis and Independent 't' test.
Results: Mean interface gap values at the sulcus, crest of the ridge and mid palatal areas respectively were: 0.2817 mm, 0.2586 mm, 0.3306 mm for Group IA, 0.2474 mm, 0.2346 mm, 0.3541 mm for Group IB, 0.1011 mm, 0.1174 mm, 0.1202 mm, for Group IIA and 0.0898 mm, 0.1062 mm, 0.1486 mm for Group IIB. No significant differences were found between the gaps at different reference areas within Groups IA and IIA. Significant differences were found between mid palatal area and the sulcus and crest of the ridge areas within Groups IB and IIB. No significant differences were found between respective corresponding areas of Groups IA and IB and between Groups IIA and IIB. Significant differences were found between respective corresponding areas between Groups IA and IIA and between Groups IB and IIB.
Conclusion: Denture bases processed by injection molding technique exhibited a significantly lesser mean interface gap as compared to those processed by compression molding technique within a given palatal vault depth and vault depth did not significantly influence the linear dimensional accuracy of denture bases processed by anyone of the mentioned techniques.
Keywords: Denture Base; Denture Base Resin; Acrylic Resin; Palate; Hard Palate; Dimensional Measurement Accuracy; Dental Laboratory
- Tandon R., et al. “Denture base materials: From past to future”. Indian Journal of Dental Sciences 2 (2010): 33-39.
- Abby A., et al. “Comparison of the linear dimensional accuracy of denture bases cured the by convectional method and by the new press technique”. IJDR 2 (2011): 200-204.
- Arora S., et al. “Comparative study on the fit of maxillary complete denture bases at the posterior palatal border made by heat cure acrylic resin processed on high expansion stone and type III dental stone”. International Journal of Dental Clinics 1 (2011): 18-20.
- Arora S., et al. “Comparative evaluation of linear dimensional changes of four commercially available heat cure acrylic resins”. Contemporary Clinical Dentistry 3 (2011): 182-187.
- Jow J. “Mechanical undercuts as a means of decreasing shrinkage in the postpalatal seal region of the maxillary denture”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry1 (1989): 110-115.
- Nogueira SS., et al. “Comparison of accuracy between compression and injection-molded complete dentures”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry3 (1999): 291-300.
- Dhanraj M., et al. “Influence of polymerization shrinkage on denture base distortion: A systematic review”. Indian Journal of Multidisciplinary Dentistry2 (2013): 687-694.
- Gharechachi J., et al. “Dimensional changes of acrylic resin denture bases: Convectional versus injection-molding technique”. Journal of Dentistry4 (2014): 398-405.
- Lee CJ., et al. “Comparative adaptation accuracy of acrylic denture bases evaluated by two different methods”. Dental Material4 (2010): 411-417.
- Monfrin SB., et al. “Dimensional contour stability of acrylic resin bases for complete dentures before and after water sorption”. International Journal of Prosthodontics6 (2005): 480-483.
- Parvizi A., et al. “Comparison of the dimensional accuracy of injection-molded denture base materials to that of convectional pressure-pack acrylic resin”. Journal of Prosthodontics2 (2004): 83-89.
- Pronych GJ., et al. “Dimensional stability and dehydration of a thermoplastic polycarbonate-based and two PMMA- based denture resins”. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 30 (2003): 1157-1161.
- Salim S., et al. “The dimensional accuracy of rectangular acrylic resin specimens cured by three denture base processing methods”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry6 (1992): 879-881.
- Sykora 0 and Sutow EJ. “Improved fit of maxillary complete dentures processed on high expansion stone casts”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry2 (1997): 205-208.
- Dixon DL., et al. “Linear dimensional variability of three denture base resins after processing and in water storage”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry1 (1992): 196-200.
- Skinner EW. “Acrylic denture base materials: Their physical properties and manipulation”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry1-2 (1951): 161-167.
- Wong DMS., et al. “Effect of processing method on the dimensional accuracy and water sorption of acrylic resin dentures”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry3 (1999): 300-304.
- Craig RG., et al. “Physical factors related to denture retention”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry3 (1960): 459-467.
- Laughlin GA., et al. “A comparison of palatal adaptation in acrylic resin denture bases using convectional and anchored polymerization techniques”. Journal of Prosthodontics4 (2001): 204-211.
- Venus H., et al. “The effect of processing methods and acrylic resins on the accuracy of maxillary dentures and toothless denture bases: An in vitro study”. Quintessence International8 (2011): 669-677.
- Anusavice KJ., et al. “Phillips' science of dental material”. 12th St. Louis: saunders Co; (2014): 478; 487.
- Elsheikh HA and Abdel-Hakim AM. “Accuracy of freely adaptated resin record bases”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry4 (1995): 348-353.
- McCartney JW. “Flange adaptation discrepancy, palatal base distortion, and induced malocclusion caused by processing acrylic resin maxillary complete dentures”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry4 (1984): 545-553.
- Meissi AC., et al. “Influence of storage period and effect of different brands of acrylic resin on the dimensional accuracy of the maxillary denture base”. Brazilian Dental Journal3 (2008): 204-208.
- Craig RG and Powers JM. “Restorative dental materials”. 11th CV Mosby, St Louis, MO. (2002): 635.
- Sykora 0 and Sutow EJ. “Posterior palatal seal adaptation influence of processing techniques, palate shape and immersion”. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 20 (1993): 19-31.
- Anderson GC., et al. “Dimensional stability of injection and convectional processing of denture base acrylic resin”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry3 (1998): 394-439.
- Huggett R., et al. “Dimensional accuracy and stability Dent. of acrylic resin denture bases”. Journal of Prosthetics 4 (1990): 634-639.
- Strohaver RA. “Comparison of changes in vertical dimensions between compression and injection molded complete dentures”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry6 (1989): 716-718.
- Dalkiz M., et al. “Effect of different palatal vault shapes on the dimensional stability of glass fiber-reinforced heat-polymerized acrylic resin denture base”. European Journal of Dentistry 6 (2012): 70-78.
- Avci M and Iplikcioglu H. “An analysis of edentulous maxillary arch width and palatal height”. International Journal of Prosthodontics1 (1992): 73-77.
- Consani RLX., et al. “Effect of a new tension system, used in acrylic resin flasking, on the dimensional stability of denture bases”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry3 (2002): 285-289.
- Harrison A., et al. “Measurements of dimensional accuracy using linear and scanning profile techniques”. International Journal of Prosthodontics1 (1992): 68-72.
- Jackson AD., et al. “The dimensional accuracy of two denture base processing methods”. International Journal of Prosthodontics5 (1989): 421-428.
- Latta GH., et al. “Three-dimensional stability of new denture base systems”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry6 (1990): 654-661.
- Garfunkel E. “Evaluation of dimensional change in complete dentures processed by injection pressing and the pack-and-press technique”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry6 (1983): 757-761.
- Anthony DH and Peyton FA. “Dimensional accuracy of various denture base materials”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry1 (1962): 67-81.
- Sowmya S., et al. “Palatal vault depth influence on the flexural strength of two heat cure acrylic denture base resins: An in vitro comparative s of complete study”. World Applied Sciences Journal 9 (2013): 1290-1294.
- Sadamori S., et al. “Influence of thickness on the linear dimensional change, warpage, and water uptake of a denture base resin”. International Journal of Prosthodontics1 (1997): 35-43.
- Ono T., et al. “Dimensional accuracy of acrylic resin maxillary denture base polymerized by a new injection pressing method”. Dental Material3 (2004): 348-352.
- Firtell DN., et al. “Posterior peripheral seal distortion related to processing temperature”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry6 (1981): 598-601.
- Bahra SE., et al. “Linear and volumetric dimensional changes of injection-molded PMMA denture base resins”. Dental Materials 29 (2013): 1091-1097.
- Dukes BS., et al. “A laboratory study of changes in vertical dimension using a compression molding and a pour resin technique”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry5 (1985): 667-669.
- Artopoulos A., et al. “Three dimensional processing deformation of three denture base materials”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry6 (2013): 481-487.
- Becker CM., et al. “The comparison of denture-base processing techniques. Part II. Dimensional changes due to processing”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry4 (1977): 450-459.
- Glazier S., et al. “Posterior peripheral seal distortion related to height of the maxillary ridge”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry5 (1980): 508-510.
- Gomes M., et al. “Adaptation of complete denture bases submitted to chemical polishing”. Journal of Applied Oral Science 4 (2004): 322-325.
- Reddy BMM., et al. “Palatal vault depth influence on the flexural strength of two heat cure acrylic denture base An in vitro study”. The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice6 (2014): 1131-1136.