Systemic Sclerosis: Wrinkle Free Mask
Ayeesha Urooge1, Shafiullah Khan2, Khizerulla Sharief3, Bintee Koirala4 and Karthik D Yadav5*
1Master of Dental Surgery, Mak Multi-Speciality Dental Care, Kadapa, India
2Bachelor of Dental Surgery, Mak Multi-Speciality Dental Care, Kadapa, India
3Associate Professor - Paediatrician, Akash Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre Bangalore, India
4Bachelor of Dental Surgery, Consultant at Dental Enclave, India
5Master of Dental Surgery, Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, KGF College of Dental Sciences, India
*Corresponding Author: Karthik D Yadav, Master of Dental Surgery, Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, KGF College of Dental Sciences, India.
Received: June 20, 2022; Published: June 30, 2022
Scleroderma is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory disease wherein the blood vessels and connective tissue is the target for the antibodies. Systemic sclerosis can range from mild to severe form in severity as well as in progression from localized to systemic sclerosis with/without diffuse scleroderma. The disease process has a wide range of clinical manifestations ranging from the CREST syndrome accompanied with restrictive pulmonary disease, pulmonary hypertension, arthralgia, myopathy, myocardiopathy and progressive renal insufficiency. Herein, we report a classic case of systemic sclerosis with oro-cutaneous manifestations which has progressed over time and its impact on the life of the individual.
Keywords: Sclerosis; Calcification; Collagen; Chronic; Inflammation; Skin; Xerostomia
- Hasan S., et al. “Systemic Sclerosis-A Case Report and Review of Literature”. International Journal of Contemporary Dentistry 6 (2012).
- Kayser C., et al. “In: Sato E. Guias de Medicina Ambulatorial e Hospitalar – Reumatologia”. São Paulo: Manole (2004): 111-120.
- Mayes MD., et al. “Prevalence, incidence, survival and disease characteristics of systemic sclerosis in a large US population”. Arthritis and Rheumatology 8 (2003): 2246-2255.
- Korn JH. “Immunologic aspects of Scleroderma”. Current Opinion in Rheumatology 2 (1990): 922-928.
- Altan G., et al. “Scleroderma: A Case Report”. Journal of Istanbul University Faculty of Dentistry 2 (2015): 31-34.
- Özgen M and Koca SS. “Sklerodermanın etiyopatogenezi ve güncel tedavisi”. Fırat Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi1 (2010): 69-76.
- Albilia JB., et al. “Small mouths big problems? a review of scleroderma and its oral health implications”. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association 9 (2007): 831-836.
- Dedic A., et al. “Scleroderma--from the aspect of dental medicine”. Medical Archives 6 (2011): 368-370.
- Mark H and Robert B. “The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy. 17th edition”. Merck and Co. USA (1999).
- Alexandridis C and White SC. “Periodontal ligament changes in patients with progressive systemic sclerosis”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology 58 (1984): 113-118.
- Veloyos EE., et al. “The CREST syndrome: Comparison with systemic sclerosis”. (scleroderma) Archives of Internal Medicine 139 (1979): 1240-1245.
- Benetti R., et al. “Prosthetic rehabilitation for a patient with microstomia: A clinical report”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 92 (2004): 322-327.
- Wood RE and Lee P. “Analysis of the oral manifestations of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology 65 (1988): 172-178.
- Neville BW., et al. “Oral and maxillofacial pathology. 3rd edition”. St. Louis, Missouri: Saunders Elsevier (2009): 798-801.
- Yücel ÖÖ and Ercan E. “Periodontal conditions and mucogingival surgical treatment of a patient with scleroderma”. Hacettepe Diş Hekim Fak Derg1 (2009): 41-46.
- Wood RE and Lee P. “Analysis of the oral manifestations of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology 2 (1988): 172-178.
- Jung S., et al. “Previously undescribed pulpal and periodontal ligament calcifications in systemic sclerosis: a case report”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral Radiology 4 (2013): 47-51.
- White SC and Pharoah MJ. “Editors. Oral radiology - principles and interpretation, 6th edition”. Saint Louis: Mosby (2009): 467.
- Habtemichael A., et al. “Systemic sclerosis presenting as CREST syndrome: A case report and review”. Journal of Eritrean Medical Association 1 (2008).
- Kasper DL., et al. “Harrisons principles of internal medicine. 16th edition”. McGraw-Hill USA (2005): 1979-1990.
- Subcommittee for Scleroderma Criteria of the American Rheumatism Association Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee. “Preliminary criteria for the classification of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)”. Arthritis and Rheumatology 23 (1980): 581-590.
- Bernstein RM., et al. “Association of antinuclear and anti-nucleolar antibodies in progressive systemic sclerosis”. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 48 (1982): 43-51.
- Kreuter A., et al. “Low-dose UVA1 phototherapy in systemic sclerosis: effects on acrosclerosis”. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 50 (2004): 740-747.
- Tashkin DP., et al. “Scleroderma Lung Study Research Group. Cyclophosphamide versus placebo in scleroderma lung disease”. The New England Journal of Medicine 354 (2006): 2655-2666.