Dental Implants in Children - A Review
Pragathi R Bhat1*, Shreenidhi S Iyer2, Vijay A Trasad3 and Jyosthna G Madhurkar4
1Associate Professor, Department of Periodontics, SDMCDSH - Dharwad, India
2House Surgeon, SDMCDSH-Dharwad, India
3Professor, SDMCDSH-Dharwad, A Constituent Unit of Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara University, Sattur, Dharwad, India
4Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics, SDMCDSH - Dharwad, India
*Corresponding Author: Pragathi R Bhat, Associate Professor, Department of Periodontics, SDMCDSH - Dharwad, India.
Received: May 05, 2022; Published: June 13, 2022
An edentulous smile might look appealing in an infant but it can be a matter of concern to the parents. With the progression of time, the loss of teeth will negatively affect the child’s ability to chew and may also produce an impact on the self-esteem. Traditionally, the management of tooth loss in the child is done by conservative means by using a removable prosthesis, Maryland bridge or resin-bonded-restorations, although none of these methods are completely satisfactory and have their own drawbacks. The use of dental implants has been increased with leaps and bounds ever-since the concept of osseointegration has been identified and accepted. Dental implants in children is the most preferred treatment option by the parents as it provides a good esthetic and functional results thus improving the child’s quality of life, social integration and self-esteem. This review article is an attempt to highlight the use of dental implants in normal growing children and the influence of dental and skeletal growth on the stability of those implants.
Keywords: Children Dental Implant; Dental and Skeletal Growth; Hypodontia; Anodontia
- Savitha Sathyaprasad., et al. “Mini-implants in pediatric dentistry - A Review”. International Journal of Current Research 2 (2020): 10416-10420.
- Agarwal N., et al. “Dental Implants in children: A multidisciplinary perspective for long-term success”. National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery2 (2016): 122.
- Arun T. “Dental implants in pediatric dentistry: A Review”. European Journal of Molecular and Clinical Medicine 2 (2020): 6497-6501.
- Muhamad AH., et al. “Dental Implants in Children: An update”. Journal of Oral Health and Dentistry Research 2 (2021): 1-9.
- Moghadam MM. “Implant applications for children”. International journal of Contemporary Dental and Medical Reviews (2017).
- Adell R., et al. “A 15-year study of osseointegrated implantsin the treatment of the edentulous jaw”. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 6 (1981): 387-416.
- Branemark R., et al. “Osseointegration in skeletal reconstruction and rehabilitation: A Review”. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 2 (2001): 175-181.
- Westwood RM and Duncan JM. “Implants in adolescents: a literature review and case reports”. The International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 11 (1996): 750-755.
- Rossi E and Andreasen JO. “Maxillary bone growth and implant positioning in a young patient: a case report”. International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 23 (2003): 113-119.
- Kramer FJ., et al. “Implants in children with ectodermal dysplasia: a case report and literature review”. Clinical Oral Implants Research 18 (2007): 140-146.
- Bhatlu MVR., et al. “Dental Implants in growing children - A Review”. Andhra Pradesh State Dental Journal 2 (2016): 327-331.
- Bjork A. “Growth of the maxilla in three dimensions as revealed radiographically by the implant method”. British Journal of Orthodontics 4 (1997): 53-64.
- Cronin RJ., et al. “Mandibular implants and the growing patient”. The International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 9 (1994): 55-62.
- Ledermann PD., et al. “Osseointegrated dental implants as alternative therapy to bridge construction of orthodontics in young patients: seven years of clinical experience”. Paediatric Dentistry 15 (1993): 327-332.
- Guckes AD., et al. “Use of endosseous implants in a 3-year-old child with ectodermal dysplasis: case report and 5-year followup”. Paediatric Dentistry 19 (1977): 282-285.
- Kearns G., et al. “Placement of endosseous implants in children and adolescents with hereditary ectodermal dysplasia”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology 88 (1999): 5-10.
- Osterle U., et al. “Maxillary implants and growing patients”. The International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 8 (1993): 377-387.