Root Canal Irrigants - What Are We Up to!
Radhika Srikhakollu1, Vivek Narra2, Vaishnavi Ramanan3, Srikanth Tatikonda3, Aishwarya Dham4* and Hridya Jayaprakash5
1General Dentist, Rhode Island, USA
2General Dentist, Springfield, IL-USA
3Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4Periodontist, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
5Periodontist, Clove Dental, Sholinganallur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
*Corresponding Author: Aishwarya Dham, Periodontist, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India.
Received: May 03, 2022; Published: May 23, 2022
The aim of root canal treatment is to eliminate all the vital and necrotic tissues, microbes from root canal system which can be obtained by chemical and mechanical debridement. Contact of irrigating solutions in the entire root canal system is much needed for complete disinfection. This narrative review focuses on the available root canal irrigants, their drawbacks and various other irrigants in the pipeline.
Keywords: Root Canal; Irrigants; Pipeline; Infection
- M Zehnder. “Root canal irrigants”. Journal of Endodontics (2006): 389-398.
- IEl karim., et al. “The antimicrobial effects of root canal irrigation and medication”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology (2007): 560-569.
- MF Ayad. “Effects of rotary instrumentation and different etchants on removal of smear layer on human dentin”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry (2001): 67-72.
- PJ Baker., et al. “Tetracycline and its derivatives strongly bind to and are released from the tooth surface in active form”. Journal of Periodontology (1983): 580-585.
- RE Beltz., et al. “Quantitative analysis of the solubilizing action of MTAD, sodium hypochlorite, and EDTA on bovine pulp and dentin”. Journal of Endodontics (2003): 334-337.
- S Shabahang and M Torabinejad. “Effect of MTAD on Enterococcus faecalis-contaminated root canals of extracted human teeth”. Journal of Endodontics (2003): 576- 579.
- M Torabinejad., et al. “The antimicrobial effect of MTAD: an in vitro investigation”. Journal of Endodontics (2003): 400-403.
- L Giardino., et al. “Surface tension comparison of four common root canal irrigants and two new irrigants containing antibiotic”. Journal of Endodontics (2006): 1091-1093.
- JB Selkon., et al. “Evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of a new super-oxidized water, Sterilox, for the disinfection of endoscopes”. Journal of Hospital Infection (1999): 59-70.
- M Nagayoshi., et al. “Antimicrobial effect of ozonated water on bacteria invading dentinal tubules”. Journal of Endodontics (2004): 778-781.
- C Estrela., et al. “Antimicrobial efficacy of ozonated water, gaseous ozone, sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine in infected human root canals”. International Endodontic Journal (2007): 85-93.
- JL Fimple., et al. “Photodynamic treatment of endodontic polymicrobial infection in vitro”. Journal of Endodontics (2008): 728-734.