Multiple Congenital Epulis: A Bombshell on the First Cry with Surgical Eviction by Erbium Laser
Shivani K Jamwal
Oral Maxillofacial and Reconstructive Surgery, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
*Corresponding Author: Shivani Kumari Jamwal, Oral Maxillofacial and Reconstructive Surgery, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Received: November 10, 2021; Published: December 08, 2021
Congenital epulis also known as Neumann’s tumor is a benign, rare congenital intraoral tumor that usually affects alveolar mucosa of neonates with a marked female predilection of 10:1 and site predilection for maxillary alveolus by 3:1. Very few cases have been reported in mandible and extremely rare < 10% cases have been reported with lesions in both the jaws simultaneously. Clinically tumor presents as a mass protruding through oral cavity of neonates with a potential to cause difficulty in feeding or respiration. Here we report an extremely rare case of multiple congenital epulis in a new-born in relation to maxillary and mandibular alveolus along with Epstein pearls and Bohn’s nodules, which was managed successfully by surgical eviction of the mandibular lesion using Er Cr: YSGG and conservative management of smaller maxillary lesion, Epstein pearls, and Bohn’s nodules. A review of literature on congenital epulis as well as erbium family of lasers should be considered as novel approach in management of paediatric oral surgical procedures.
Keywords: Congenital Epulis; Conventional; Laser; Mucocele; Surgery
- Neumann E. “Ein fall von kongenitaler epulis”. Arch Heilkd 12 (1871): 189-190.
- McGuire TP., et al. “Congenital epulis: a surprise in the neonate”. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association8 (2006): 747-750.
- Bosanquet D and Roblin G. “Congenital epulis: a case report and estimation of incidence”. International Journal of Otolaryngology (2009): 508-780.
- Lawrence A and Kotlow, DDS. “Lasers in pediatric dentistry”. Dental Clinics of North America 48 (2004): 889-922.
- Zuker RM and Buenecha R. “Congenital epulis: review of the literature and case report”. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 51 (1993): 1040-1043.
- Silva GCC., et al. “Congenital granular cell tumor (congenital epulis): a lesion of multidisciplinary interest”. Archive of "Medicina Oral, Patología Oral y Cirugía Bucal”6 (2007): E428-E430.
- Loyola AM., et al. “Alveolar and extra-alveolar granular cell lesions of the newborn: report of case and review of literature”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology6 (1997): 668-671.
- Dzieniecka M., et al. “Multiple congenital epuli (congenital granular cell tumours) in the newborn: a case report and review of literature”. Polish Journal of Pathology 1 (2011): 69-71.
- Nakata M., et al. “Prenatal diagnosis of congenital epulis: a case report”. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology6 (2002): 627-629.
- Lapid O., et al. “Congenital epulis”. Paediatrics 2 (2001): E22.
- Bork M., et al. “Diseases of the oral mucosa and the lips”. (1996): 293.
- Narasimhan K., et al. “Treatment of congenital epulis (granular cell tumour) with excision and gingivoperiosteoplasty”. The Canadian journal of plastic surgery4 (2007): 215-218.
- Jenkins HR and Hill CM. “Spontaneous regression of congenital epulis of the newborn”. Archives of Disease in Childhood1 (1989): 145-147.
- WFP Van Heerden and AW Van Zyl. “Diagnosis and management of oral lesions and conditions in the newborn”. South African Family Practice6 ( 2010): 489-491.
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. Policy on the use of lasers for pediatric dental patients. The Reference Manual of Pediatric Dentistry. Chicago, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (2020): 116-118.
- Van As G. “Erbium lasers in dentistry”. Dental Clinics of North America4 (2004): 1017- 1059.
- Aparna HG., et al. “Congenital epulis in a newborn: a case report, immunoprofiling and review of literature”. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences4 (2014): 359-362.
- Omisakin OO., et al. “Congenital epulis: a report of two cases and review of the literature”. International Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Research3 (2016): 130-134.
- Dhareula A., et al. “Congenital granular tumor of newborn- spontaneous regression or early surgical intervention”. Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive 36 (2018): 319-323.
- Chen TL., et al. “Therapeutic effects of diode laser on vascular epulis in esthetic area”. Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics1 (2021): 75-77.
- Ortega-Concepción D., et al. “The application of diode laser in the treatment of oral soft tissues lesions. a literature review”. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry7 (2017): e925-e928.