Play Safe-Sports Dentistry a Review
Senior General Dental Surgeon, Bahrain
*Corresponding Author: Gurpreet Kaur, Senior General Dental Surgeon, Bahrain.
Received: April 16, 2021; Published: : May 21, 2021
As per FDI definition, sports dentistry is branch of dentistry dealing with prevention and treatment of pathologies and injuries of oral cavity and stomatognathic system related to sports practice. The stomatognathic system is anatomical and functional system comprising the teeth, jaws and associated soft tissues, facial muscles and Temporomandibular joint (TMJ). It’s a most recent upcoming field in Dentistry.
Contact sports can be very fulfilling in many ways but tooth and facial trauma can affects athletes in many aspects from, talking, eating, smiling and most important psychological impact which can leads to more serious consequences.
There is intimate relationship between an adequate oral condition and the performance of the athlete. The practice of sport and performance can be compromised by the presence of various oral problems. Oral disease directly or indirectly negatively impacts the sports performance.
This review discusses the importance of sports dentistry, type of Dento-facial injuries faced by elite athletes, responsibility of team dentist for early diagnosis of injury prone dentition, prevention and treatment of injuries and to educate sports team members for importance of oral health in sports.
- Winters JE. “Sports dentistry: The profession's role in athletics”. The Journal of the American Dental Association 127 (1996): 810-811.
- Trigo M. “The eternal soccer. Brasília: Thesaurus (2002).
- Costa SS. “Odontologia desportiva na luta pelo reconhecimento”. Revista de Odontologia da Universidade 21 (2009): 162-168.
- Vougiouklakis G., et al. “Dental data of the Athens 2004 Olympic and Paralympic Games”. International Journal of Sports Medicine 29 (2008): 927-933.
- Yang X-J., et al. “Dental service in 2008 Summer Olympic Games”. British Journal of Sports Medicine 45 (2011): 270-274.
- Henriques PSG and Sukekava F. “The Importance of Oral Health in High Performance Athletes: A Brief Review”. Journal of Dentistry and Oral Biology 4 (2017): 1037.
- Bryant S., et al. “Elite athletes and oral health”. International Journal of Sports Medicine 9 (2011): 720-724.
- Joe Camp. “EMERGENCY: Dealing with sports-related dental trauma”. The Journal of the American Dental Association 6 (1996): 812-815.
- Geurtsen W. “Rapid general dental erosion by gas-chlorinated swimming pool water. Review of the literature and case report”. American Journal of Dentistry 6 (2000): 291-293.
- Milosevic A. “Sports drinks hazard to teeth”. British Journal of Sports Medicine 31 (1997): 28-30.
- Harrison J and Roder L. “Dental erosion caused by cola beverages”. General Dentistry 39 (1991): 23-24.
- Farrington T., et al. “A review of facial protective equipment use in sport and the impact on injury incidence”. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 50 (2012): 233-238.
- Guggenheimer J. “Implications of smokeless tobacco use in athletes”. Dental Clinics of North America 35 (1991): 797-808.
- Glover ED., et al. “Age of initiation and switching patterns between smokeless tobacco and cigarettes among college students in United States”. American Journal of Public Health 79 (1989): 207.
- Stokes AN., et al. “Comparison of laboratory and intraorally formed mouth protectors”. Endodontics and Dental Traumatology 3 (1987): 255-258.
- Duarte-Pereira DM., et al. “Wearability and physiological effects of custom-fitted vs self-adapted mouthguards”. Dental Traumatology 24 (2008): 439-442.
- Gebauer DP., et al. “The effect of mouthguard design on respiratory function in athletes”. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 21 (2011): 95-100.
- Lavallée L and Flint F. “The relationship of stress, competitive anxiety, mood state, and social support to athletic injury”. Journal of Athletic Training 4 (1996): 296-299.
- Ramagoni NK., et al. “Sports dentistry: A review”. Journal of International Society of Preventive and Community Dentistry 3 (2014): S139-S146.
- Roettger M and Pacheco R. “Tobacco Use in Sports”. In: Roettger M. (eds) Modern Sports Dentistry. Textbooks in Contemporary Dentistry. Springer, Cham (2018).
- Zadik Y. “Barodontalgia”. The Journal of Endodontics 35 (2009): 481-485.
- 812 JADA, Vol. 127, June 1996.
- Introduction to Sports Dentistry.
- Roettger Mark. “Introduction to Sports Dentistry”. Revista Brasileira de Educação Física e Esporte 2 (2014).