Vats: An Easy Approach for Epicardial Lead Placement in Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Virinchi Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
*Corresponding Author: Avinash Dal, Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Virinchi Hospitals, Hyderabad, India.
October 03, 2021; Published: December 10, 2021
Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy is an established modality in management of heart failure. In some instances, endocardial lead placement may not be successful and hence an epicardial lead has to be placed. This is usually done with thoracotomy. However, video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) is a new modality to place the leads in proper place with minimal morbidity and risks and good recovery. Also lead placement near the groove is also easily done. Thoracoscopy is easy and has good recovery. We used this in three cases without resorting to open thoracotomy. The author describes the ease of doing the reproducible procedure.
Keywords: CRT; Epicardial Lead Placement; VATS
- Young JB., et al. “Combined cardiac resynchronization and implantable cardioversion defibrillation in advanced chronic heart failure: the MIRACLE ICD Trial”. JAMA 20 (2003): 2685-2694.
- Fatemi M., et al. “Primary failure of cardiac resynchronisation therapy: what are the causes and is it worth considering a second attempt? A single centre experience”. Europace 10 (2008): 1308-1312.
- Shah RV., et al. “Epicardial left ventricular lead placement for cardiac resynchronization therapy following failed coronary sinus approach, Congest”. Heart Fail6 (2006): 312-316.
- Gamble JHP., et al. “Procedural success of left ventricular lead placement for cardiac synchronisation therapy”. JACC 21 (2016): 69-77.
- Buiten MS., et al. “Epicardial leads in adult cardiac resynchronization therapy recipients: a study on lead performance, durability, and safety”. Heart Rhythm3 (2015): 533-539.
- Morgan JM and Delgado. “Lead positioning for cardiac resynchronisation therapy, Techniques and priorities”. Europace 11 (2009): v22-v28.
- Shaeffer T., et al. “Thoracoscopic epicardial left ventricular bipolar lead implantation with use of automated titanium fasteners (Cor-Knot)”. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 14 (2019): 121.
- Jeong S P., et al. “Thoracoscopic left ventricular lead implantation in cardiac resynchronisation therapy”. Journal of Korean Medical Science 27 (2012): 1595-1597.
- Gabor S., et al. “A simplified technique for implantation of left ventricular epicardial leads for biventricular re-synchronization using video-assisted thoracoscopy (VATS)”. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 6 (2005): 797-800.
- Shouwenberg JJ., et al. “Video assisted placement of epicardial leads”. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2 (2014): 286-289.