Stent Graft Repair of an Idiopathic Superficial Femoral Artery Pseudoaneurysm
Presenting as Deep Vein Thrombosis
Sofia Isabel T Manlubatan, Leoncio L Kaw Jr* and Alduz Inri S Cabasa
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of the Philippines, Philippine General Hospital, Philippines
*Corresponding Author: Leoncio L Kaw Jr, Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of the Philippines, Philippine General Hospital, Philippines.
October 15, 2021; Published: November 16, 2021
Superficial femoral artery (SFA) pseudoaneurysms are relatively uncommon and are usually due to traumatic, infectious, or iatrogenic causes. We report a case of an 82-year-old male who presented with a two-week history of left lower extremity swelling associated with erythema, pain, and difficulty in ambulation. Venous duplex ultrasound revealed acute deep vein thrombosis involving the left femoral, popliteal, and peroneal veins, along with an incidental finding of a large pseudoaneurysm of the left superficial femoral artery. No precipitating causes were identified on history and clinical work-up. The SFA pseudoaneurysm was treated endovascularly using an iliac artery endoprosthesis. Immediate post-operative course was uneventful, and the patient was discharged on anticoagulation without any complications.
Keywords: Superficial Femoral Artery Pseudoaneurysm; Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Dejean C., et al. “Femur lengthening in a patient with a pseudoaneurysm of the superficial femoral artery treated with covered stent”. The Indian Journal of Orthopaedics5 (2019): 674-676.
- Hirota R., et al. “Pseudoaneurysm of the superficial femoral artery after retrograde intramedullary nailing for a supracondylar femoral fracture”. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England7 (2014): e1-3.
- Baldwin D., et al. “Ruptured superficial femoral artery anastomotic pseudoaneurysm after 30 years”. Case Reports in Vascular Medicine 2019 (2019): 1679214.
- Cangiano G., et al. “Endovascular treatment of simultaneous iliac and superficial femoral arterial pseudoaneurysms after stenting procedure complications”. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery2 (2019): 160-164.
- Liu CW., et al. “A large pseudoaneurysm of the superficial femoral artery in a patient with SLE with Salmonella group D infection”. BMJ Case Report 2018 (2018): bcr2017222393.
- Luther A., et al. “Peripheral arterial pseudoaneurysms- A 10-year clinical study”. The Indian Journal of Surgery2 (2015): 603-607.
- Katzenschlager R., et al. “Incidence of pseudoaneurysm after diagnostic and therapeutic angiography". Radiology 195 (1995): 463-466.
- Siani A., et al. “Spontaneous rupture of the superficial femoral artery treated via an endovascular approach”. Texas Heart Institute Journal 35 (2008): 66-68.
- Ugurlucan M., et al. “Spontaneous superficial femoral artery pseudoaneurysm in Behcet’s disease”. Journal of Medical Case Reports (2014): 860243.
- Kanko M and Ciftci E. “Spontaneous pseudoaneurysm of the superficial femoral artery in Behcet’s disease- endovascular stent graft treatment combined with percutaneous drainage: A case report”. The Heart Surgery Forum1 (2007): E84-86.
- Alsmady M., et al. “Spontaneous femoral artery pseudoaneurysm in a young patient”. Journal of Surgical Case Reports 2012.10 (2012): 18.
- Jarrett F., et al. “Superficial femoral artery aneurysms: An unusual entity?” Journal of Vascular Surgery3 (2002): 571-574.
- Stone PA. “Duplex ultrasound in the diagnosis and treatment of femoral pseudoaneurysms in noninvasive peripheral arterial diagnosis”. London. Springer London (2010): 83-88.
- Middleton WD., et al. “Diagnosis and treatment of iatrogenic femoral artery pseudoaneurysms”. Ultrasound Quarterly 21 (2005): 3-17.
- Mahmoud MZ., et al. “To-and-fro” waveform in the diagnosis of arterial pseudoaneurysms”. World Journal of Radiology 7 (2015): 89-99.
- Lisowska A., et al. “Iatrogenic femoral pseudoaneurysms- A simple solution of inconvenient problem?” Advances in Medical Sciences 56 (2011): 215-221.
- Perini P., et al. “Surgical management of isolated superficial femoral artery degenerative aneurysms”. Journal of Vascular Surgery 1 (2014): 152-158.
- Kaw L., et al. “Use of a stent graft for bleeding hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm following pancreaticoduodenectomy”. Asian Journal of Surgery 4 (2006): 283-286.
- Xu J., et al. “Clinical evaluation of covered stents in the treatment of superficial femoral artery pseudoaneurysm in drug abusers”. Molecular Medicine Reports3 (2018): 4460-4466.
- Samara O., et al. “Giant spontaneous femoral artery pseudoaneurysm treated with covered stents”. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal3 (2013): E472-E475.
- Abdel Wahab AM., et al. “Early outcomes of traumatic femoral artery aneurysm (open repair versus endovascular treatment)”. Annals of Vascular Surgery 54 (2019): 146-151.