Wrong Track for Initial Management of Gallbladder Adenosquamous Carcinoma: A Case Report and Literature Review
Jordan Marcelis1, Hamid El Kaddouri1, Augustin Limgba1, Fridoline Ebongo2, Maria Gomes Galdon3, Ion Surdeanu1*, Ioan-Sorin Cimpean1 and Abdellilah Mehdi1
1Department of General Surgery, Etterbeek-Ixelles Hospital HIS, Belgium
2Department of Anesthesia, Etterbeek-Ixelles Hospital HIS, Belgium
3Department of Anathomopathology, Jules Bordet Institute, Brussels, Belgium
*Corresponding Author: Ion Surdeanu, Department of General Surgery, Etterbeek-Ixelles Hospital HIS, Belgium.
June 29, 2021; Published: July 17, 2021
Introduction: Although rare, the gallbladder carcinoma is the most common malignant lesion of the biliary. It is generally diagnosed late in the disease course with a poor prognosis due to vague and nonspecific clinical signs and symptoms.
Presentation of Case: A 42-year-old African man was referred to hospital with right upper quadrant pain and general deterioration a month after the diagnosis and treatment of vesicular abscess in Rwanda. The complete assessment revealed adenosquamous carcinoma of the gallbladder treated by radical surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy.
Discussion: Global distribution of gallbladder cancer suggests a major influence of genetics and environment. The precise aetiology is unknow. The final diagnosis is anatomopathological helped by imaging. The surgical treatment is curative and there is no standard protocol for adjuvant treatment.
Conclusion: Our case, in the light of the literature, highlights the difficulties concerning the diagnosis of gallbladder carcinoma and the importance of not underestimating this diagnosis so as not to delay treatment.
Keywords: Adenosquamous Carcinoma; Gallbladder; Histology; Surgical Treatment; Adjuvant Treatment
- Lazcano-Ponce EC., et al. “Epidemiology and molecular pathology of gallbladder cancer”. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 51 (2001): 349-364.
- Misra S., et al. “Carcinoma of the gallbladder”. Lancet Oncology 4 (2003): 167-176.
- Tominaga S., et al. “Epidemiologic aspects of biliary tract cancer in Japan”. National Cancer Institute Monograph 53 (1979): 25-34.
- Randi G., et al. “Gallbladder cancer worldwide: geographical distribution and risk factors”. International Journal of Cancer 118 (2006): 1591.
- Zatonski WA., et al. “Epidemiologic aspects of gallbladder cancer: a case-control study of the SEARCH program of the International Agency for Research on Cancer”. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 89 (1997): 1132-1138.
- Kanthan R., et al. “Gallbladder cancer in the 21st century”. Journal of Oncology (2015): 7.
- Henson DE., et al. “Carcinoma of the gall- bladder: histological types, stage of disease, grade and survival rates”. Cancer 70 (1992): 1493-1497.
- Chan KM., et al. “Adenosquamous/squamous cell carcinoma of the gallbladder”. Journal of Surgical Oncology 95 (2007): 129-134.
- Misra NC., et al. “Carcinoma gallbladder”. In: Johnson CD, Taylor I (Editions). Recent advances in surgery, volume 20. London: Churchill Livingstone (1997): 69-87.
- T Okabayashi., et al. “Surgical outcome of carcinosarcoma of the gall bladder: a review”. World Journal of Gastroenterology 39 (2009): 4877-4882.
- Stephen AE and BergerDL. “Carcinomaintheporcelaingallbladder:a relationship revisited”. Surgery 129 (2001): 699-703.
- Onoyama H., et al. “Diagnostic imaging of early gallbladder cancer: retrospective study of 53 cases”. World Journal of Surgery 23 (1999): 708-712.
- Miller G and Jarnagin WR. “Gallbladder carcinoma”. Journal of the European Society of Surgical Oncology 34 (2008): 306-312.
- Shindoh J., et al. “Tumor location is a strong predictor of tumor progression and survival in T2 gallbladder cancer: an international multicenter study”. Annals of Surgery 261 (2015): 733.
- Oohashi Y., et al. “Adenosquamous carcinoma of the gallbladder warrants resection only if curative resection is feasible”. Cancer 94 (2002): 3000-3005.
- Kim WS., et al. “Clinicopathologic analysis of adenosquamous/squamous cell carcinoma of the gallbladder”. Journal of Surgical Oncology 103 (2011): 239-242.
- Houry S., et al. “Gallbladder cancer: role of radiation therapy”. Hepatogastroenterology 46 (1999): 1578-1584.
- Sharma A., et al. “Best supportive care compared with chemotherapy for unresectable gall bladder cancer: a randomized controlled study”. Journal of Clinical Oncology 28 (2010): 4581-4586.
- Ren B., et al. “A meta-analysis of the efficacy of postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy versus no radiotherapy for extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and gallbladder carcinoma”. Radiation Oncology 15 (2020):1-10.