Giant Trichobezoar in Young Patient with Severe Anemia Review of Literature and Psychological Considerations
Gianluca Ancona1*, Nicola Crea1, Pierfranco Scanu1, Igor Batog1, Gaia Scurati2 and Berjaoui Abdul Halim1
1General Surgery, S.Anna Clinical Institute, Brescia, Italy
2Clinical Psychology, S.Anna Clinical Institute, Brescia, Italy
*Corresponding Author: Gianluca Ancona, General Surgery, S.Anna Clinical Institute, Brescia, Italy.
May 14, 2021; Published: June 05, 2021
A 19-year-old female presented at the emergency department with severe anemia and symptomatic abdominal mass that was diagnosed by computer tomography to be a giant gastric bezoar. The patient underwent exploratory laparotomy for the removal of giant bezoar through a gastrostomy. The technique is described with a review of the literature and psychological considerations.
Keywords: Trichobezoar; Severe Anemia; Surgical Technique; Management; Psychological Considerations; Follow-Up
- Y Nirasawa., et al. “Laparoscopic removal of a large gastric trichobezoar” 9574777.
- Wang C., et al. “Management of SAH with traditional Chinese medicine in China”. Neurological Research (2006).
- Lei Lu and Xiao-Feng Zhang. “Gastric Outlet Obstruction--An Unexpected Complication during Coca-Cola Therapy for a Gastric Bezoar: A Case Report and Literature Review.
- O’Sullivan MJ., et al. “Trichobezoar”. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine (2001).
- Greenberg HR and Samer CA. “Trichotillomania: symptom and syndrome”. The Archives of General Psychiatry (1965).
- Christenson GA and Crow SJ. “The characterization and treatment of trichotillomania”. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry (1996).
- Dann DS., et al. “The successful medical management of a phytobezoar”. Archives of Internal Medicine (1959).
- N A Diettrich and F C Gau. “Postgastrectomy phytobezoar-endoscopic diagnosis and treatment”. Archives of Surgery (1985).
- Benes J., et al. “Treatment of a gastric bezoar by extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy 23.6 (1991): 346-348.
- Slen BJ., et al. “Pathophysiology/ Diagnosis / Management. 5th Saunders, Philadelphia (1993): 758-763.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, Washington: American Psychiatric Association (2013).
- Shoenfeld N., et al. “Trichotillomania: Pathopsychology Theories and Treatment Possibilities”. Israel Medical Association Journal2 (2012): 125-129.
- Lacey EP. “Broadening the Perspective of Pica: Literature Review”. Public Health Reports (1990).
- Benson H and Klipper MZ. “The relaxation response”. New York: Avon (1976)
- Pennebaker JW and Evans J. “Expressive Writing: Words that heal”. Washington: Idyll Arbor (2014).