Determination of Laser Energy Required to Produce Uniform Micro-Grooves on Titanium Surface
Mohamed Ahmed Alkhodary1,2*
1Associate Professor of Prosthetic Dental Sciences, College of Dentistry, Qassim University, KSA
2Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University, Egypt
*Corresponding Author: Mohamed Ahmed Alkhodary, Associate Professor of
Prosthetic Dental Sciences, College of Dentistry, Qassim University, KSA
Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University, Egypt.
Received: May 02, 2023; Published: May 10, 2023
The current work studied the effect of different ultraviolet invisible laser energies and spatial set-up to produce uniform laser micro-grooves on titanium rods surface in about the size of osteoblast cell body, 10 µm, and the results were verified by scanning electron microscope.
Keywords: Laser; Uniform Micro-Grooves; Titanium Surface
- Anselme K., et al. “Effect of grooved titanium substratum on human osteoblastic cell growth”. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 60 (2002): 529-540.
- Bigerelle M., et al. “Improvement in the morphology of Ti-based surfaces: a new process to increase in vitro human osteoblast response”. Biomaterials 23 (2002): 1563-1577.
- Zhu X., et al. “Cellular reactions of osteoblasts to micron- and submicron-scale porous structures of titanium surfaces”. Cells Tissues Organs 178 (2004): 13-22.
- Dee KC and Puleo D. “Engineering Materials for Biomedical Applications”. Materials today 3 (2000): 7-10.
- Anselme K. “Osteoblast adhesion on biomaterials”. Biomaterials 21 (2000): 667.
- Wilson CJ., et al. “Mediation of biomaterial-cell interactions by adsorbed proteins: a review”. Tissue Engineering 11 (2005): 1.
- Sader MS., et al. “Effect of three distinct treatments of titanium surface on osteoblast attachment, proliferation, and differentiation”. Clinical Oral Implants Research 16 (2005): 667.
- Huang HH., et al. “Effect of surface roughness of ground titanium on initial cell adhesion”. Biomolecular Engineering 21 (2004): 93.
- Wang JH., et al. “Alignment and proliferation of MC3T3-E1 osteoblasts in microgrooved silicone substrate subjected to cyclic stretching”. Journal of Biomechanics 33 (2000): 729.
- Ricci JL and Alexander H. “Laser microtexturing of implant surfaces for enhanced tissue integration”. Key Engineering Materials 198-199 (2001): 179.
- Soboyejo WO., et al. “Multi-scale microstructural characterization of micro-textured Ti-6Al-4V surfaces”. Key Engineering Materials 198-199 (2001):203.
- Soboyejo WO., et al. “Interactions between MC3T3-E1 cells and textured Ti6Al4V surfaces”. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 62 (2002): 56.
- Chen J., et al. “Cell/surface interactions and adhesion on Ti-6Al-4V: Effects of surface texture”. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials 82B (2006): 360.
- Mwenifumbo S., et al. “Cell/surface interactions on laser micro-textured titanium-coated silicon surfaces”. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 18 (2007): 9.
- Hsiao WT., et al. “Surface microtexturing of Ti-6Al-4V using an ultraviolet laser system”. Materials and Design 90 (2016): 891-89
- Chen J., et al. “In-vivo study of adhesion and bone growth around implanted laser groove/RGD-functionalized Ti-6Al-4V pins in rabbit femurs”. Materials Science and Engineering: C 31 (2011): 826-
- Farronato D., et al. “Influence of Laser-Lok surface on immediate functional loading of implants in single-tooth replacement: a 2-year prospective clinical study”. International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 34 (2014): 79-
- Veiko V., et al. “Laser-assisted fabrication and in vitro verification of functionalized surface for cells biointegration”. Optics and Laser Technology 138 (2021): 106871.
- Alkhodary MA. “Laser micro-grooved, Arginine-Glycine-Apspartic acid (RGD) coated dental implants, a 5 years radiographic follow-up”. International Journal of Health Sciences 8 (2014): 361.
- Zheng Q., et al. “Biocompatibility of Ti-6Al-4V titanium alloy implants with laser microgrooved surfaces”. Materials Technology 37 (2022): 2039-2048.
- Chen J., et al. “An investigation of the initial attachment and orientation of osteoblast-like cells on laser grooved Ti-6Al-4V surfaces”. Materials Science and Engineering: C 29 (2009): 1442-1452.
- Mastrangelo F., et al. “Effects of novel laser dental implant microtopography on human osteoblast proliferation and bone deposition”. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 35 (2020): 2.